Fly Tying
oatka

Painted a few poppers

I had fun last night painting poppers with the kids. It's amazing how anytime I pull out popper heads, the kids are ready to paint them! This is something we've done every few years, even when the kids have been fairly young. Last night my 4 year old had a turn at the sprayer.

post-6177-1301574749_thumb.jpg

I found this "before" shot interesting with how it ended up being so provocatively positioned....all by accident of course.

post-6177-1301574770_thumb.jpg

Most were painted using a stick with an alligator clip to hold the fly, but some of the detailed work required me holding them close in hand....and my fingers are still black.

post-6177-1301574840_thumb.jpg

There sure are a lot more steps to making these look nicer than the ones from years ago that were just covered with nail polish. I can't wait to get them feathered up and wet!

The poppers look great and you letting the kids help is a great way of getting them into fly tying or fishing. I read one of your old post that said you bought an i copic air brush system. Did you paint the popper with the i copic? I ordered an i copic system last week and it will be here on monday. Any tips or suggestions for someone new to air brushing? BF

The poppers look great and you letting the kids help is a great way of getting them into fly tying or fishing. I read one of your old post that said you bought an i copic air brush system. Did you paint the popper with the i copic? I ordered an i copic system last week and it will be here on monday. Any tips or suggestions for someone new to air brushing? BF

Yes, I painted these with the Copic airbrush. I am new to airbrushing too, but it's pretty simple with this system and poppers. I start with the lightest color first and work my way to the dark ones.

I hope to have a more detailed post on using it up soon.

they look great Mike but you glued one of the heads on backwards :hyst:

DOH!

actually, each pack came with 10 heads, so I glued 2 of each 10 on backwards for sliders.

And for those who've never used them sliders work really well in very quiet places. They're a favorite of mine in both salt and brackish areas when it's so quiet that you want to whisper if you speak at all.... Very nice work by the way.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

I just looked up what a copic airbrush system was and I like it. My daughter who draws in a japanese style of art would love it too. how lond does the can of air last? I see the larger can (180) on ebay for 13 bucks.

Brian - My D60 can got me through 25 popper heads.....not that impressive at all in my opinion, considering how tiny poppers are.

If you have patience, I hope to have a cheaper refill solution to post about in the near future.

The other system you linked to looks promising too. If you get one, I'd be interested in the results.

The copic one can be connected to a compressor but the compressor that is sold branded as copic is a couple hundred bucks. I think you could get away with a cheaper one but who knows. I wont be making any purchases like this till after I refi the house :rolleyes:

Nice looking poppers!

So I bought a cheap compressor off of ebay for $60. Came with a damaged compressor valve, but still works, so he refunded me $30. Not a bad deal. I've used both the 60 and 180 cans -- both for going mobile to shows etc where I won't take the compressor. My 60 lasted longer than 25 poppers, but it wasn't by a lot. The 180 can has lasted two tying shows and a few demos, tutorials etc. I'd prob start with the 180 and see how far it goes, how many you're painting. Then if it doesn't last, just shop for a longer-term solution in a compressor.

Rock on!