Fly Tying
infish

Lead tape

Recently stumbled onto Davie McPhails caddis videos. He uses an adhesive backed lead tape rather than wire and after using it myself, I like the way it wraps. Problem is, once applied and bound with thead... the adhesive squeezes out thru the thread, leaving a sticky mess. I dont see this on his videos. Maybe my tape is just too old or just some no name brand I picked up at a fly show. Any thoughts?

I haven't heard of using lead tape for weight. What flies do you use it on?

All the caddis nymphs, pupas and so on. I like the way it wraps flat on the hook. Check out caddis nymph pupa by Davie McPhail on utube.

You can also use the lead foil that is on the top of wine bottles and simply cut it into strips. I used to work for a janitorial sevice (20+ years ago) that cleaned a restraunt and bar and saved a bunch of it. It works well. Not the heaviest thing you can tie to a hook but it works pretty good and it's free if you or someone you know drinks wine.

The foil on bottles of wine have not been lead in 20+ years. Somewhere around that time they decided it wasn't good to have lead so close to food sources. I believe that was pretty much a world wide ban. Nowadays it is tin foil or plastic shrink wrap around the neck of a bottle of wine.

The foil on bottles of wine have not been lead in 20+ years. Somewhere around that time they decided it wasn't good to have lead so close to food sources. I believe that was pretty much a world wide ban. Nowadays it is tin foil or plastic shrink wrap around the neck of a bottle of wine.

It has been 20+ years since I got any and I don't drink wine so I guess I'm out of touch. Makes since though...

I had this same problem as the OP. I am going to try less tension to see if this helps as I really like the tapering of the bodies with lead foil but the adhesive bleeding through has to stop!

Thanks

Jed

There is lead tape and there is lead tape. Some, which I suspect you have, has adhesive almost as thick as the lead. The better tape has very thin layer of adhesive. If the adhesive is as thick as the lead you will not get anywhere near as much weight for a given bulk. Come to that I wonder why we want the adhesive at all. The only time I find it useful (but not necessary) is on tying the Ammonite Nymph. The lead is laid along the hook shank and tied in. It is slightly easier to do if you tie it with the adhesive away from the hook shank.

A tip or two. If you are building a profiled under body with lead tape start with the smallest piece and work to the largest, not the other, more usual, way around. By doing it this way the lead will smooth itself out; you will not have to spend as much time smoothing it out with thread or floss. If you want the tape to end nice and square to the hook shank wind the lead tape and hold the tag ends out at the "pitch angle". Make a cut across the tape with your scissors at 90 degrees to the hook shank. When you wind the tag end it will end square and be easier to smooth out.

Golf pro shops are a good source for this tape. They, as has been said before, use it to weight their bats. Check the thickness of the adhesive before buying. If you can find wine that still uses lead seals this is a very good. Simply buy the wine, have it shipped to me, and I will forward the lead and "dispose off" the unwanted parts. Also are the lead foils from x-ray plates are useful if a little thin.

Cheers,

C.

I may be wrong, but I think for a while they used tin on the wine bottles not lead; just like way back in the day, tin was used for tooth paste tubes. While tin is not as heavy as lead, it does provide some weight.

Some of the higher quality wines used lead. Back in the early '90s I managed to acquire several years supply from my employer. It was defiantly lead.

Cheers,

C.