Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fred H.

Catapla Worms

Locals down here call these catapla worms . They are in fact spinx moth catapillars that seem to be predisposed to seek out catapla trees. Catapla trees tend to grow naturally in bogs or near water and subsequently the catapillars end up in the water and become an easy meal for waitig fish. post-11886-1301745120_thumb.jpg

I tied these for bass . But even the size 4 hook was'nt enough of a deterant for the hungry bluegills.post-11886-1301745000.jpgpost-11886-1301744912.jpg

nice work, i've been thinking alot about learning how to tie worms or caterpillars.. obviously they work..

nice work, i've been thinking alot about learning how to tie worms or caterpillars.. obviously they work..

the wooly bugger was to immitate a catapillar and look how sucessful it's become. I think the reason I had sucess with this pattern is that it matched the hatch ,so to speak. I could probably done just as well with a wooley bugger in the same color scheme . But I would not had as much fun tying them.

thanks for the comment, Fred

Fred what are your catalpas made of, as in the material you weave to make the spot on green and black? I have an old fishing pal in Panama City area that loves the gills and I'm thinking a batch of them for him would be nice...

Fred what are your catalpas made of, as in the material you weave to make the spot on green and black? I have an old fishing pal in Panama City area that loves the gills and I'm thinking a batch of them for him would be nice...

Tie on a goose biot at the bend of the hook for the distal spine ( black if you have them). The black lines are embroidery thread (black). Tie in two strands at the bend of the hook , then also tie in two ostrich herl (white). The body is tied from (chartruse) velvet micro chenile(Hareline dubbing) Wind the chenile forward on the hook stopping about 1/16 " from the hook eye and secure it in place. Work your thread back to the hook bend between the chenile winds.Pull the 2 pieces of embroidery thread forward and wrap the thread back toward the the eye staying between the chenile wraps. Do the same with the ostrich herl except keep the herl on the sides of the fly. The head is dubbing (black).

Send me a pm with your addy and I'll send you one to go by and one of the soft hackle bees.

Fred

Locals down here call these catapla worms . They are in fact spinx moth catapillars that seem to be predisposed to seek out catapla trees.

Ceratomia catalpaiae. In fact that species' caterpillars ONLY eat catalpa leaves.

the old Woolly WORM might have originally been patterned after a caterpillar, but the Woolly Bugger was an attempt to imitate a hellgrammite. Or so the story goes.

Locals down here call these catapla worms . They are in fact spinx moth catapillars that seem to be predisposed to seek out catapla trees.

Ceratomia catalpaiae. In fact that species' caterpillars ONLY eat catalpa leaves.

the old Woolly WORM might have originally been patterned after a caterpillar, but the Woolly Bugger was an attempt to imitate a hellgrammite. Or so the story goes.

Thanks for the clarification on that J.

Fred