Fly Tying
Terry Dunford

What's your most Creative dubbing brush?

Thanks for your comment. I can see how using EP would work well. However, I recently found out that Congo Hair from Fly Tyers Dungeon is basically the same kind of material as EP fibers and only $1.45 per package instead of $6 or $7 for EP. I immediately ordered some and have some EP as well and, yes, it is basically the same stuff. Just wanted to pass on the good news so y'all can save money like I am because tying flies can get quite expensive. Check out the Congo Hair here. I personally also just purchased nearly all the other materials that Fly Tyers Dungeon has. I can't believe how cheap everything on that site is. It is definitely a gem, especially for people who go through a lot of materials. I can't wait to begin creating dubbing brushes using all of their great materials! And, no, I'm not a salesman for them, I just really like their stuff. You definitely have to check it out!

I have heard this too about congo hair that it is essentially the same stuff, only problem is i have a huge pile of EP fiber in all sorts of colours i have been collecting, so i guess when it does eventually run out i will move over to congo. Pity i didn't know earlier, oh well!

Thanks for your comment. I can see how using EP would work well. However, I recently found out that Congo Hair from Fly Tyers Dungeon is basically the same kind of material as EP fibers and only $1.45 per package instead of $6 or $7 for EP. I immediately ordered some and have some EP as well and, yes, it is basically the same stuff. Just wanted to pass on the good news so y'all can save money like I am because tying flies can get quite expensive. Check out the Congo Hair here. I personally also just purchased nearly all the other materials that Fly Tyers Dungeon has. I can't believe how cheap everything on that site is. It is definitely a gem, especially for people who go through a lot of materials. I can't wait to begin creating dubbing brushes using all of their great materials! And, no, I'm not a salesman for them, I just really like their stuff. You definitely have to check it out!

I have heard this too about congo hair that it is essentially the same stuff, only problem is i have a huge pile of EP fiber in all sorts of colours i have been collecting, so i guess when it does eventually run out i will move over to congo. Pity i didn't know earlier, oh well!

Yeah, I agree because I also spent quite a bit of money on EP too which I still have, but luckily I didn't buy too much before I found out about Congo Hair. Hopefully through this thread others will learn in time because A LOT of money could be saved, that's for sure!

I am not sure this pic really shows off the brush well, but it is one of my favorite for Sculps,

Tan Congo/Brown Congo/Black Craft/Rootbeer Midge Flash/Gold Tinsel:

post-15973-1302300630_thumb.jpg

I am not sure this pic really shows off the brush well, but it is one of my favorite for Sculps,

Tan Congo/Brown Congo/Black Craft/Rootbeer Midge Flash/Gold Tinsel:

Thank you for posting that photo and for describing the materials use. It looks like a great dubbing brush. I believe that I have all of those materials in those colors too. Could you please give me a rough estimate on how many "parts" of each to give me a better idea of how much of each of those materials to use when creating the dubbing brush? Thanks for your help. I really like that fly and would like to give it a shot myself!

_________

Thanks FlyFishin'Jam for letting me know about the coyote tail.

A friend of mine just gave me a new Cyclone Dubbing Brush machine and I love it? I know that there could be countless variations of dubbing brushes made and would like to know from you what your most Creative and Productive dubbing brush(es) are and what materials you used to create it? Please feel free to jot down your past creations, ideas and dubbing brush fantasies.... <b>I am not referring to the dubbing brush tool by the way. The kind that wraps around the hook to form the body of a fly.</b>

I am using s self-made brush machine and making different dubbing mixtures and then brushes for all my flies, wet & dry.

post-34261-0-93273000-1327446260_thumb.jpg post-34261-0-67751600-1327446248_thumb.jpg

Nothing creative from me, but my favorite leech is made using bright red wire and seal dubbing in black (rear 2/3rds) and claret (front 1/3 rd).

I use synthetic and natural materials. Making dubbing brushes is about as addictive as fly tying. The thing you will learn is to not go to thick when applying the materials across the wire. When you twist it up, the thicker the materials, the less tight the twists will be. That is why when you see brushes with rubber or silicone legs, they are spaced out. I tried doing a brush with all sili legs and the twists around the leg material was still loose when the ends were so tight they popped and the legs just slid out.

I'll do mixes as mentioned above as well as barred or contrasting tipped when using the brush as a tail.

Oh, the thin wire dog brushes are the very best tool for picking out and fluffing up your brush as you twist them up.

Man, remember, once you start, there's no looking back.

Kirk

Here are some of the first brushes I did with fake fox fur, fluffed up off the machine.

DSC_0326-1.jpg

A baitfish with a tan/brown or was that tan/black mixed and tied in for a tail and then a black/red mixed brush wrapped around shank for head.

DSC_0281-3.jpg

A couple bottom bouncing crab and baitfish type flies with the brush wrapped around the shank and trimmed off the bottom so the hook rides point up.

DSC_0201-1.jpg

DSC_0194-3.jpg

DSC_0190-1.jpg

A toothbrush with the bristles trimmed diagonally from tip to handle. The bristles near the tip are about 1/8" and the handle end are left untrimmed. Great for working around fine wire.

Ok I have nothing to offer as far as brushes go but does anyone have any pages that have plans for making your dubbing block?

I am really interested in this idea and I am already planing to make a block. I like the jansiman block but I am not to going to pay that much for it. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to make the tool he uses to spin the wire?

Here is a vid

Thanks for creating this thread. I had seen this before a few years ago but as I wasn't into tying then I forgot about it.