Fly Tying
Terry Dunford

What's your most Creative dubbing brush?

A friend of mine just gave me a new Cyclone Dubbing Brush machine and I love it? I know that there could be countless variations of dubbing brushes made and would like to know from you what your most Creative and Productive dubbing brush(es) are and what materials you used to create it? Please feel free to jot down your past creations, ideas and dubbing brush fantasies.... I am not referring to the dubbing brush tool by the way. The kind that wraps around the hook to form the body of a fly.

My most used dubbibg brush was made some 20 years ago and is so very easy to make .

A short length of brass welding rod and a piece of velcro wrapped around the top 1inch and glued

Has served me well all this time

Mike

My most used dubbibg brush was made some 20 years ago and is so very easy to make .

A short length of brass welding rod and a piece of velcro wrapped around the top 1inch and glued

Has served me well all this time

Mike

Hello British Mike, Thank you but maybe I should have been more specific. I meant a dubbing brush for winding around to form a body on a fly, not the dubbing brush tool. I'll see if I can edit the post so it's more specific. Thanks anyway.

I've seen guys use Congo Hair to make some really cool dubbing brushes. Plus it's real cheap so you can make lots of them ;) Can probably use craft fur as well. I have never made a dubbing brush, but use both in a dubbing loop and they work well. I'm sure others can give you much better ideas

When I tried making a dubbing brush it was too chunky and was very dense...Still working out the kinks in the process.

I used the junk in my waste troll to create a dubbing brush for a cased caddis. The brush looks like crap, and looks even worse when you wrap it. After trimming, it does a pretty good job of imitating the case.

I dont use dubbing brushes all that often, but I do use them for leaches. The best in my opinion is Arctic Fox tail in two colors one being dominate, and the other offering contrast. Color combos that work great for bass, trout, and pike have been: Black/red, dark olive/golden olive, Yellow/red, red/yellow. (all white for smallies) Throw a few strands of flash here and there in the mix and your good to go. Try throwing dyed Amherst tail fibers in there for some intruder looking leeches.

For me dubbing brushes only offer significant benefits if you spinning long fiber material, stuff that is a pain to do in a dubbing loop/split thread. I just use regualar techniques for dubbing and other things like peacock herl.

However, Utyer does have a great idea with throw "junk" in there to make cases. Also Agn54's comment of using congo hair is a great idea, could make some real quick 3d bait fishes that way.

Silicone skirt material and koosh ball rubber, just got to be careful not to let it twist too much.

Silicone skirt material and koosh ball rubber, just got to be careful not to let it twist too much.

Interesting. I can see that being a good way to make bass jigs, but what fly patterns would that method be good for? Do you have any photos of any that you've tied using that method? Thanks for sharing, I'll have to try it as I just got a lot of awesome materials from Fly Tying Dungeon including their Baby Legs Alive and regular Legs Alive. You get 200 8" legs for only $1 per package. So I'll definitely try your method and try to see what I can create. Thanks again!

Interesting. I can see that being a good way to make bass jigs, but what fly patterns would that method be good for? Do you have any photos of any that you've tied using that method? Thanks for sharing, I'll have to try it as I just got a lot of awesome materials from Fly Tying Dungeon including their Baby Legs Alive and regular Legs Alive. You get 200 8" legs for only $1 per package. So I'll definitely try your method and try to see what I can create. Thanks again!

It was for bass jigs :bugeyes: but I have mixed them into congo hair and wool about 1 strand per 1/2 inch before. Is the legs alive stuff like spandex material? If so it should work even better than rubber or silicone. And no pics but I got to do it again soon so I may take some at that point.

Mine are really not that creative (i *cough* copied things already created), usually EP fibers and a little EP flash/ sparkle - various other things like silky fiber. The joy of it for me has been tying minnows, i can use some fairly long EP (cut one of the hanks in half or a bit less) and wind from the bend to the head, give it a nice comb and trim for a big ass minnow. I have seen some commercial brushes with little rubber bits in them or 'legs'. Think someone mentioned 'chunky and dense' these type brushes are awesome for shrimps.

Think its an awesome technique :)

It was for bass jigs :bugeyes: but I have mixed them into congo hair and wool about 1 strand per 1/2 inch before. Is the legs alive stuff like spandex material? If so it should work even better than rubber or silicone. And no pics but I got to do it again soon so I may take some at that point.

I'm not sure if it's spandex or silicone because I don't really know what spandex looks like. I would suggest you just buy some because they are only $1 per package so you could get a whole %load of colors for the same price as one package of something else. Check it out here.

Mine are really not that creative (i *cough* copied things already created), usually EP fibers and a little EP flash/ sparkle - various other things like silky fiber. The joy of it for me has been tying minnows, i can use some fairly long EP (cut one of the hanks in half or a bit less) and wind from the bend to the head, give it a nice comb and trim for a big ass minnow. I have seen some commercial brushes with little rubber bits in them or 'legs'. Think someone mentioned 'chunky and dense' these type brushes are awesome for shrimps.

Think its an awesome technique :)

Thanks for your comment. I can see how using EP would work well. However, I recently found out that Congo Hair from Fly Tyers Dungeon is basically the same kind of material as EP fibers and only $1.45 per package instead of $6 or $7 for EP. I immediately ordered some and have some EP as well and, yes, it is basically the same stuff. Just wanted to pass on the good news so y'all can save money like I am because tying flies can get quite expensive. Check out the Congo Hair here. I personally also just purchased nearly all the other materials that Fly Tyers Dungeon has. I can't believe how cheap everything on that site is. It is definitely a gem, especially for people who go through a lot of materials. I can't wait to begin creating dubbing brushes using all of their great materials! And, no, I'm not a salesman for them, I just really like their stuff. You definitely have to check it out!

Dougswisher.com has some great dubbing with little rubber legs mixed in with it and makes a great dubbing brush with little to no effort. He has great colors and the bags of dubbing are good sized and a great bargain. Just my tcw.

blane

Dougswisher.com has some great dubbing with little rubber legs mixed in with it and makes a great dubbing brush with little to no effort. He has great colors and the bags of dubbing are good sized and a great bargain. Just my tcw.

blane

Yeah, I agree with you there. I do like his wiggle dub and found myself making my own variation with the Baby Legs Alive and Simi-Seal.