Fly Tying

When I am casting I am getting very little distance. When I cast my backing goes farther then my leader it just flops beside the line. What am I doing wrong any info or tips would be great.

Nate.

I'm assuming you meant your flyline and leader. Take a look at most any of the begining fly fishing books out there (Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide,any work by Lefty Kreh, etc). I suspect your casting problem is the result of the sum of several errors. If you are near a fly shop, or big box store with a flyfishing department, like Cabela's, ask if the know of any casting clinics in the area. Sometimes they will give free clinics on Saturdays. Good for business, you know.

Don't get discouraged, good luck.

Another thing to check is whether or not the fly line is on the reel properly; especially if it is a weight forward line. It is a known fact that even the"pros" occasionally put a line on backwards! It does make a difference!

perchjerker

If possible, find a FFF certified casting instructor, teaching yourself just doesn't work. You will pick up so many bad habits on your own, that when you finally decide to get instruction it will take twice as long to learn the proper techniques.

Troutbum:

One should be careful when making such absolute positive statements! They can come back to haunt you!

I am self-taught, and I have a very good friend who is self-taught, and who can pick up anyone's flyrod, any weight, any length, any line configuration (DT,WF, Etc.), any rod construction material, anytime, any where, and effortlessly throw ALL of the line, plus some backing! He can drive tacks with his loops!

I will agree whole heartedly that a good instructor will greatly reduce the time it takes to learn, and I definitely encourage using one.

Another problem with your pronouncement is the inference that being a FFF Certified Instructor makes one a good teacher. WRONG!!! I am responsible for our club's "Fly Fishing Academy", and have been since it's inception six years ago. One of our initial casting instructors was FFF certified, and one of the worst teachers I have ever encountered, and I was exposed to some real duds during my 23 year academic (student) career (I am a SLOW learner!!!). I know many modest casters who are EXCELLENT teachers!

perchjerker--- (PhD in marine zoology)

Troutbum:

One should be careful when making such absolute positive statements! They can come back to haunt you!

I am self-taught, and I have a very good friend who is self-taught, and who can pick up anyone's flyrod, any weight, any length, any line configuration (DT,WF, Etc.), any rod construction material, anytime, any where, and effortlessly throw ALL of the line, plus some backing! He can drive tacks with his loops!

I will agree whole heartedly that a good instructor will greatly reduce the time it takes to learn, and I definitely encourage using one.

Another problem with your pronouncement is the inference that being a FFF Certified Instructor makes one a good teacher. WRONG!!! I am responsible for our club's "Fly Fishing Academy", and have been since it's inception six years ago. One of our initial casting instructors was FFF certified, and one of the worst teachers I have ever encountered, and I was exposed to some real duds during my 23 year academic (student) career (I am a SLOW learner!!!). I know many modest casters who are EXCELLENT teachers!

+1 have to agree

...Another problem with your pronouncement is the inference that being a FFF Certified Instructor makes one a good teacher. WRONG!!!

Gotta agree. Unless they changed the requirements, I don't think they included teaching technique. The requirements to be FFF Certified are more about ones casting ability having to perform specific casting feats. A good caster doesn't always make a good instructor.

Although I taught myself to cast, I have picked up many good pointers from friends as they have from me as well as guys from the New Orleans FlyFishers years ago.

Still no explanation on the backing going farther than the leader? Even if it is the fly line, I don't think I've ever seen that in all my years of fly fishing including the years I spent guiding when many of my clients were very novice. I'd like to see a video of that Nate. Also, if you could video yourself, we could probably help you better analyze your problem.

Kirk

This isnt about normal loop casting (I seem to have the idea of this alright) but writing today about my roll cast. When I roll cast my fly never straightens out but rather lands in a heap of line in front of me. I understand its difficult to diagnose without any photo/videos to base off of but thought someone might beable to offer assistants.

This isnt about normal loop casting (I seem to have the idea of this alright) but writing today about my roll cast. When I roll cast my fly never straightens out but rather lands in a heap of line in front of me. I understand its difficult to diagnose without any photo/videos to base off of but thought someone might beable to offer assistants.

I find roll casting to be a real PIA too some days.

Most of the time when I get pile-ups as you describe, I find that I am pushing my rod tip down instead of out at the casting stroke. Also, try to make sure your leader and fly are right up on the surface as you make your cast.

I found your advice helpful and with a little practice my flie and leader will straighten out in no time!

I find roll casting to be a real PIA too some days.

Most of the time when I get pile-ups as you describe, I find that I am pushing my rod tip down instead of out at the casting stroke. Also, try to make sure your leader and fly are right up on the surface as you make your cast.

I am (relatively) new to fly fishing as well at the ripe old age of 39. I have used the LL bean book and fly fishing bible and just practiced out back in front of the sliding glass door to act as a psudo mirror. The most important thing I have learned from boooks and other fly casters is 1) do not overpower your cast. More force does not mean tighter loop and more distance. 2) Concentrate on how the rod "feels" for timing your cast. It took me a few months of practice to actually feel when the line was streight on my back cast.

BTW- If you are trying to roll cast on the yard it will not work. You do need the water tention (I propably looked pretty foolish trying to roll cast on my yard)

I agree and disagree on the instruction. If you are a diciplined individual I think you can effectivly "teach" yourself even though you are not actually teaching yourself. I always say I do have a lot of instructors, I just have not met any of them.

I am in my 2nd year fly fishing and I do have a good roll cast, great foward cast an ok false cast but my dubble haul absolutely sucks. I can occasionally shoot line well or single haul but I might just seek instruction because of the dubble haul. I have been getting better but it still needs work. Part of my issue is the cost of some of these clinics. I have seen single day lessons in the hundreds of dollars. If that was my only avenue into fly fishing I personally would not have started myself.

I think you are on the right track just by asking on this forum.

One of the best pieces of advice I got on roll casting was that the cast does not start until the rod is past your ear. I don't know if words are adequate to describe it, but whenever I blow a roll cast it is because I started the power stroke (if that's what it is called in roll casting) too early.