Fly Tying
nightfish

How much will you spend?

How much would you spend on a new reel?  

230 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I guess I'm in the same boat as a lot of the guys so far: when fishing areas known for small fish (under 20") I go with a cheap Teton. The rest of my reels are higher-priced, higher-performance, and frankly I wouldn't trade them. It's nice to know that when something big grabs the fly, you don't have to worry about the reel's guts going up in a puff of smoke.

I know what I paid for my last reel and extra spool I still want another extra spool for that reel.I also know what my next reel is going to be.I voted fairly high because Iknow what that reel and extra spool is going to cost as far as a dollar value.......thats between me and god!

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

Just for your info, here's what an industry survey showed:

1. $100 or less 14%

2. $100-$199 43%

3. $200-$299 30%

4. $300-$399 7%

5. $400 or more 6%

the most expensive reel i have now is my batenkill which i even got on sale for 75

i have'nt spent ofer 100 on a reel but i wouldn't mind spendingup to 200 on one

How much do Ross Gunisons cost. Thats what I have, also the Ross Saltwater 3.

I think the were around 200.

Anyways that was a long time ago and I still love them

Currently I only fish trout on small to medium streams where most retrieves are by hand so my reel is only used to hold extra line. For that reason i tend to go economic on my reels.

if i get the chance to go fro steelhead i would go into the $100-$200 range

My most expensive reel at the moment is an Okuma Integrity 7/8. I think it was 65 bucks. I plan on getting another in a 4/5. Great reel. However I did vote for the 400+. Since I am saving for a Hardy Angel in 4/5. Looking to get it by the middle of April. @$425. it will probably be the only reel I ever pay that much for. I hope I can get one a little cheaper.

I only use Okuma Sierra's. They're about $45 each and about $20 for extra spools. I use them for trout and steelhead and the drag has never let me down. The only problem is, when I feel the need for a new spool, it's always a debate as to whether to buy the spool or just get another whole new reel.

Calvin

for local trout I would not spent more than 65 their are too many good reels for that price or less. I sold my battinkill and bought a okuma for a third of the price and it works great used it on New York browns and Erie steelhead. you do need a good drag for the bigger fish. but I still like to palm the reel

Fcflyguy

Certainly varies for me. Ihave used an STH cassette reel for a number of years. Bought it when they first came out which was about 10 years ago. Still use it for anything from trout to steelhead. Most I ever spent was in the 400+ range for a good spey reel. Certainly helps when a salmon or hot steelhead makes a long blistering run and I don't have to worry about drag.

Cheers. - Hansen

as much as i would like to have a waterworks purist, for the size of the fish i catch its not economical, ive never had one go to the reel so i really could keep my line in my pocket and just lug the rod around hehehe

-T

My first season of fly fishing for trout I fished with a reel that was worth $10, and caught almost as many fish as my buddy with the fancy stuff, if he caught more it more apt to be because he had over 20 years experience!!!!!!!! Now this fall I am gettin into some nice steelies and i dont have alot of confidence with the same cheap reels. I think a battenkill LA would be more suitable so I choose the 100 - 200

Let's see.... the three reels I have... all together.... MIGHT have cost $100.... laugh.gif

But my next reel will probably be over $100. In most of my situations, I'll never need anything that great, but as a few have said, I want to have some assurances that when that new world record brown from the White hits my sculpin biggrin.gif , he doesn't smoke my reel and keep going.... and going... and going..... wallbash.gif

I have plenty of reels ranging from $25-580, therefore I had to vote >$400. MY tibors will last more than I will be alive. You get what you pay for!