Fly Tying
Gary Miller

Fly Eyes

I am looking for eyes that could be tied in by the same method used for dumbell eyes or beadchain except without the weight. Something along the line of babydoll eyes (wouldn't have to be the ones with moving pupils) with a "shaft" connecting the eyes.

Anyone know of such a product?

Thanks.

- Gary

You could try some plastic bead chain. I have seen it around in a few places but can't remember exactly where at the moment.

Take a piece of the .080" lawn weed-wacker mono and cut it about 3/16" long with a sharp razor blade. Both ends need to be square and cleanly cut. Then use some Zap-A-Gap or Future Glue and glue the moving pupil hollow doll eyes to the ends. I use this technique to make floating clousers that fish just below the surface (neutral density).

Joe C.

Use mono and either glass or plastic beads. Thread the beads and singe the mono to keep them in place.

There is a company that sells what you're talking about in flyshops...maybe check Spirit River, Hareline or Rumph. Or, go to the craft store & talk to one of the ladies there about doll eye substitutes.

I actually use smaller bead chain. But I want a little weight mostly to keep the fly running the correct way. But normally it slowly sinks. But I normally burn mono myself. Just takes a bit of practice to get the correct proportions. But like what others have already said, head to JoAnns fabrics, or Michaels, and see what you can find. Lots of stuff there.

fabric store such as jo-anns or hancock sell it by the yard. small plastic bead chain, if iI could figure out the picture thing I 'd show you what I mean unsure.gif

Actually I have a bunch of eyes exactly as you described.

Its a Doll's eye (googly eye) mounted on a needle, prefect for sticking into a bass bug and then tying down.

They work better in theory than in practice, but I'll see if I can get the info for you...

If you buy a hair-brush with the beads on the end you can cut them off and size them(length) according to the fly. Tied on one at a time. You can get them in different sizes and colors too, no weight. Good luck.

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Nov 10 2004, 09:57 AM)
You could try some plastic bead chain. I have seen it around in a few places but can't remember exactly where at the moment.

I have seen those, actually have some also. I have only seen them in one size though...but they probably have more.

Have a look at Stuart Dickens web site. He has been making most all of the metal eye's, cone heads, etc, available for years, except for those sold under the Spirit River label. His products are sold under a number of different labels. He now sells retail

http://www.eyesforflies.com/

Graham