Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jhammer

Fly tying and neurological issues

I rarely talk about it, and I REALLY never discuss it openly, but I some things have got me thinking. I've had neurological problems for the past 2.5 years and I recently found out that I have the beginning stages of MS. I never shared my health problems online, but I wanted to share a few interesting tidbits.

Fly tying can actually help preserve and improve one's fine motor skills. I can vouch for this personally because I shake really bad sometimes and have coordination problems. Ever since I got into tying heavily again, it seems like the switch in my brain fired into the 'ON' position again. It's wonderful to think that something I love to do can help so much!

I'm still able to get out on the water too. I just have to improvise a little. I can't go on my usual 14-16 hour fishing trips anymore. (Yes, I said 14-16 hours. When I go fishing, I go fishing! Haha!) I go for a little bit in the morning, rest, then hit it in the evening. Fly casting has also helped as well and it makes sense. It's the best form of physical therapy. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to share a neat little story with you folks!

I rarely talk about it, and I REALLY never discuss it openly, but I some things have got me thinking. I've had neurological problems for the past 2.5 years and I recently found out that I have the beginning stages of MS. I never shared my health problems online, but I wanted to share a few interesting tidbits.

Fly tying can actually help preserve and improve one's fine motor skills. I can vouch for this personally because I shake really bad sometimes and have coordination problems. Ever since I got into tying heavily again, it seems like the switch in my brain fired into the 'ON' position again. It's wonderful to think that something I love to do can help so much!

I'm still able to get out on the water too. I just have to improvise a little. I can't go on my usual 14-16 hour fishing trips anymore. (Yes, I said 14-16 hours. When I go fishing, I go fishing! Haha!) I go for a little bit in the morning, rest, then hit it in the evening. Fly casting has also helped as well and it makes sense. It's the best form of physical therapy. :)

Jhammer I totally agree with you and will keep you in my prayers!

I had two strokes due to a virus I caught in my heart. My doctors said my fly tying actually helped me to get fine motor skills back quicker?? I too have to cut down on the hrs I'm out , I can't take the heat! I am using a Kayak sometimes and really enjoy it, I put in close to were I'm going to fish so i don't have to paddle tomuch spend my energy fishing with the fly rod instead!!

Keep at it, and play safe!

Blessings,

Jeremy

I've been accused of having a psychological disorder because I like to play with fur & feathers, but that's a different issue! <_<

jhammer, sorry to hear that, but thank you for passing on the information. It could possibly help someone else who may be going thru a similar situation.

My father had a stroke many years ago, and was told to sort nuts & bolts he had accumulated to help improve his motor skills, so I can see how tying could be a great help.

Man, you hang in there, and I too will include you in my prayers!

My friend and I started fly fishing/tying at the same time very recently. He was found practically dead on the floor one day and on the way to the hospital he was resuscitated and lost two more times. His brain was damaged and the only reason he lived was the fact that he was in very good shape. Anyways the point is after the ordeal was when we started fishing and tying, his doctor said it was a very good thing to tie flies to keep his motor skills and exercise his brain. Unfortunately my only fishing partner has moved a thousand miles away.

Good luck and good health,

Jeremy O.

I hope everything flows smoothly for you. my aunt has very light MS (thank god).

I hope this doesnt get taken the wrong way but never rule out Marijuana for something to help with the day to day problems of MS. It helps my aunt out a tone!

On a lighter side though.....I will admit that sometimes I do throw in a few....choice words...when casting and tying if I mess up too bad. Hahaha! :hyst:

jhammer,

Your story captived me. I work in the medical field and have a lot of interaction with neurologists and other specialties. I think your experience would make a good story for the right writer. I love the idea of fly tying/fishing having practical therapeutic uses. I hope you're confident in those in charge of your health. God bless you on this journey.

Happy Easter!

-Dave

Jhammer, sorry to hear about your health issue. If you may be interested. My Neice has MS. Dr's put her on some very leathal medication, it was awful for her. She started seeing a holistic Dr. He has helped her tremendously. She has not taken any meds for 2 yrs. now and is doing amazingly well. For her it was all about diet excercise and supplements. Many people with Ms have multiple food allergies and don't even know it. if you have any intrest let me know. I could give you the Dr's name and I am sure he could hook you up with someone in your area.

Good luck and God bless, MWL

I love to hear that fly tying can be therapeutic in one form or another. I promise to share these stories with some of the students in a rather large upcoming fly tying class I have.

I also have to say and though I make light of it it is very serious and it makes me feel good to help someone out with not only the rehab but something they have wanted to do in life. At my local shop we have open tying on Saturdays and classes every Thursday night. We have an older gentleman (Al) who ties with us a lot. He started tying with us after a stroke to help improve his fine motor skills and just because he had always wanted to learn to tie. We give him a hard time and because of his Parkinsons he shakes like a leaf as well. He ties a lot of bass flies and his most famous is the bleeding Al he ties a small bunny strip closer and because he flips the hook over in his rotary vise to get to the bottom of the hook easier he tends to stab himself often on the hook point and thus turns the white flies to a spotted red and white (hence the name bleeding Al). We love him to death and I love the fact that he is always willing to try and listen and is always good to laugh at himself. He also does leather work and recently made me a wallet just out of the goodness of his heart, believe me I will miss him when he is gone but until then I will cherish every moment we get to spend behind the vise together.

Keep the stories of fly tying being therapy to you coming I love this thread already.

Steve

I can certainly appreciate the neurological side as I was recently diagnosed with a condition myself which has been flaring for the last 2 years. my problem was thought to be MS and then tranverse mylelitis. had the symptoms, but turned out to be something else. I to cannot do the long trips now-interestingly there is a group wo works with returning service personnel in the states http://adaptiveflyfishing.com/default.aspx

there is also something similar here in canada. your right in that flytying is very good for motor skills and is relaxing as stress can be a major trigger of flares. A friend of mine started a program at gf strong rehab in vancouver for a flytying get together and the patients really enjoy it.

marc

Thanks for sharing, jhammer. Fly fishing and tying is very therapeutic, even for those of us who are relatively healthy (I'll speak for myself).

Just last weekend I was a fishing buddy at our local Reel Recovery retreat here in North Texas. For those of you who aren't familiar with Reel Recovery, they organize and host fly fishing retreats for guys going through cancer treatment. They have Courageous Conversations to help each other realize they aren't alone in their fight, and also do some fly fishing and tying to relax. As a fishing buddy we teach, guide, talk, and generally make sure they have a great time. Several of the guys this year were pretty sick, and really seemed to enjoy the fly tying. They didn't have the motor skill challenges, but it still gives them something they can focus on and challenge themselves with even when physically they aren't up to doing much at all.

It would be interesting to see the medical community look at activities like fly tying, and in some way try to evaluate the neurological and psychological benefits to these.

the group I posted about the adaptive group works with returning military personnel to help them thru thing like PTSD and just to simply reintegrate. I do think as tiers we can offer alot to local rehab facilities-it is a matter of convincing the right people of the benefits.

marc

I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and was at total loss until I decided to tie flies again and it keeps me busy. :rolleyes: