Fly Tying

Like almost all flies there are practically an infinite number of rat/mouse patterns. The ones that I use are either made of deer hair or foam. I don't think there are any books specifically on rodents, but I would try looking in the database because there are probably a lot there and it's free. :headbang:

I believe more properly they should be called RATs as the name comes from the initials of the designer of the original patterns Roy Angus Thomson. He designed at least the Silver and Rusty RATs, Poul Jorgensen designed the Blue RAT in the 1990's. There are numerous color variations today all maintaining the character and style of the originals.

I believe more properly they should be called RATs as the name comes from the initials of the designer of the original patterns Roy Angus Thomson. He designed at least the Silver and Rusty RATs, Poul Jorgensen designed the Blue RAT in the 1990's. There are numerous color variations today all maintaining the character and style of the originals.

Thank you

Thats what I was wondering..

"Atlantic Salmon Flies & Fishing" by Joseph Bates

There are several recipes for RAT series flies & some history.

I am sorry I was talking about the rusty rat , blue rat , silver rat ...

Oh I was a little confused why this was in the salmon and steelhead tying section, but it makes sense now.

I am sorry I was talking about the rusty rat , blue rat , silver rat ...

Oh I was a little confused why this was in the salmon and steelhead tying section, but it makes sense now.

I am sorry I should have described what I was asking alittle better.

"Atlantic Salmon Flies & Fishing" by Joseph Bates

There are several recipes for RAT series flies & some history.

Thanks I will check it out.

This book has a rather extensive list of RATs with photos and patterns. "Hair-Wing Atlantic Salmon Flies", Keith Fulsher (Author), Charles Krom (Author)

how many diffrent patterns is there? is there a book that goes over them?

I recently tied 10 different RATS out of Hairwing and Tube Flies for Salmon and Steelhead by Chris Mann another good book with lots of background.