Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jhammer

Any trappers or hunters?

I used to do a lot of trapping and hunting and I was just curious if anyone else ever used critters they harvested to make flies. It made a cheap source for material and you could get some interesting looking flies. Ever use a raccoon or an ermine fly? I sure did! I always made sure to save my pheasants too! :rolleyes:

I don't trap or hunt, but I know people who do. I have a growing collection of furs and feathers. Raccoon strips are great on streamers.

Oh Yeah, I usually keep my squirrel pelts, deer tails, and i'll even pick up a few tails from roadkill if they are fresh. but make sure you have permission in your state some states it's illegal to pick up roadkill.

Oh Yeah, I usually keep my squirrel pelts, deer tails, and i'll even pick up a few tails from roadkill if they are fresh. but make sure you have permission in your state some states it's illegal to pick up roadkill.

wait Mowest, don't you mean "roadharvest" ?? we wouldn't want to offend anyone's delicate constitution by using the word "kill" while talking of game animals.

I still have about 1000 traps and 2000 fur stretchers hanging in the garage, so to answer your question, yes, I did a little trapping! :rolleyes:

Joel, man you have a serious attitude problem towards people! I think you're very sarcastic & cynical! :(

Reminds me of, well, me! <_<

:butt: political correctness!

:lol:

Yup, Been using a squirrel I got before the season closed for dubbing material, and plan on using the tail for possibly some muddler minnows...

Huntung supplies me with a ton of material. From Coyote to turkey, pheasant, chuckar, grouse, squirrel, rock chuck,deer, elk, hopefully moose is next. It all goes hand in hand. Fly line is measured in grains as are gun powdre loads and arrows. The game you kill supplies the materials for your flies. Its total immersion in the outdoorsman/sportsman lifestyle.

i keep the the tails from the deer, and coyotes we kill. i also have a lot of various duck feathers. they work really well.

<!--quoteo(post=463759:date=Apr 18 2011, 09:21 AM:name=MowestFlyfisher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MowestFlyfisher @ Apr 18 2011, 09:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=463759"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh Yeah, I usually keep my squirrel pelts, deer tails, and i'll even pick up a few tails from roadkill if they are fresh. but make sure you have permission in your state some states it's illegal to pick up roadkill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wait Mowest, don't you mean "roadharvest" ?? we wouldn't want to offend anyone's delicate constitution by using the word "kill" while talking of game animals.

Ha I guess your right don't want P.E.T.A. after me lol.

I use to have quite a collection of squirrel hides.I guess I used to fancy myself as kind of a trapper.the real sport was shooting them with a 40 caliber squirrel rifle my dad built from scratch.

I use to have quite a collection of squirrel hides.I guess I used to fancy myself as kind of a trapper.the real sport was shooting them with a 40 caliber squirrel rifle my dad built from scratch.

that sounds awesome i'm guessing its black powder.

that sounds awesome i'm guessing its black powder.

yep

I used to own an old single shot 12 gauge that had a bore like a sewer pipe, but man could that thing shoot. I've popped lots of small critters with that hunk of metal lol!

i hunt and trap alot, recently posted a pic of a beautiful red fox i trapped last season in the classic fly tying forum, some guy took offense and mentioned he had no use for a forum that incourage trapping of animals, i set him straight and haven't seen him around since

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this