Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
petelangevin

Furled leaders

Can someone explain to me what the advantage or disadvantage of using these. I see them advertised all over now. But honestly i dont have a clue about them.

I bought some for different weight rods, and have to say that if I was forced to choose between single strand leaders & furled leaders I would go with the furled.

To me they transfer the energy of the line to the fly better than a single strand leader, which aids in making better, more accurate casts. They don't tend to retain a memory & coil up like some single strand leaders, and they're being produced with many types of line, so they can be useful in a wide range of applications. Plus, they seem to last a long time, so can be economical in the long run.

The only disadvantage to me, is that I don't make them, so I have to buy them. I generally use them for large flies, and I like the way they cast and turn over larger wind resistant flies. I know some folks like them for delicate flies, but I don't cast many so don't really have much opinion on it.

I still use the single strand leaders too, mainly because I tie my own & bought a bunch of line to do so, and for some fishing I do, they work fine. I would recommend that anyone should try a furled leader to see if you like them for the type of fishing you do most, or if you have a special situation you have trouble with using a regular single strand leader, because they might be a better choice. Only way to find out is try it.

The ones I bought are made by Blue Sky, and I would have no issues with recommending them. :thumbup:

Blue Sky Furled Leaders

I use them and make my own. They have no memory and for me the lay out straighter. I grease the ones I want for drys and they float well. I can customize them the way I want. And making my own they cost me aprox. 35 or 40 cents each.

Kevin

Can someone explain to me what the advantage or disadvantage of using these. I see them advertised all over now. But honestly i dont have a clue about them.

I also make my own (after decades of making my own tapered leaders) and love the energy transfer for dry fly presentation. For serious discussion see

http://furledleaders.proboards.com