Fly Tying
Will K

Foam Divers

Hi folks.

This spring, I spent a lot of time working on my deer hair spin/stack-ing skills. Thanks to that work - and kind help from various other tyers, whether they knew it or not - I improved my skill a lot, and I now enjoy tying up divers and other deer hair bugs.

That said, I'm very pokey at it. So while it's fun, there's a part of me that would like to figure out how to do Foam divers via using sheet foam - because I suspect I could tie up several flies in the time it takes to tie one now... Which for me is 30-45' when you include trimming. I know I've seen some of these on here at some point.. but I'd love to know if any of you know a step by step or video on making these? if so, I'd love to see the link.

Thanks for any help!

Will

Pick up the current Fly Tyer magazine. There are a couple of foam recipes that will probably fit the bill here. They are a 'Duck's Sipper' and the I don't remember the diver - but VERY easy to tie with staggered foam disks.

EDIT:

Sneaky Duck...

http://www.flytyer.com/index.php?option=co...11&Itemid=0

google how to tie the "stealth bomber"

it's a cool fly, and acts alot like a sneaky pete in the water.

I made a bunch of them awhile back and can't wait for the water to warn up. Saw some huge bass the other day that weren't interested just yet.

Thanks for the idea's guys - ill muck about over the weekend and post up pic's next week for review/ideas :)

Will

I agree with Pete. I've only tied one Stealth Bomber, but it is awesome. I don't know if I "screwed it up" just right, or if they all do this, but mine wiggles like a crankbait just under the surface on a long strip! Crazy action for a fly!

I have a foam diver that is very easy to tie that you might like. Called the Cripples, you can imitate almost any crippled bait fish from shad to perch and minnows. It's just two layers of foam glued together with a marabou tail that is tied to a piece of mono and glued into the back end. You make the whole fly before you put the hook in. I use white foam glitter foam and color with markers.

minnow001.jpg

w37.jpg

StippedPopper001.jpg

Outdoors027-1.jpg

Kirk, I use the Krazy glue with the brush. I start at the back and glue a little bit and then a little more but while flexing the bottom piece in an arc. When you get it glued it should be in the arc shape you want with out the hook in it.

Consider me officially in the market for some white glitter foam. Those are great ties!