Fly Tying
salty fly

Finishing basla poppers

Stippled, the stuff higher than 70% will just evaporate faster and you will not get the length of time. I seem to remember reading that in an epoxy data sheet recently.

Perch can correct me if he thinks I'm wrong.

Kirk

Stippled:

No, it does NOT matter. I emphasize 70% simply because, at least here, it is the most common concentration found in the supermarkets, etc., and in my efforts to dispel the myth about water causing epoxy to turn milky (which it does do during mixing; but, turns clear during curing).

Kirk:

You are correct. Since I typically 'dry' (cure) overnight, the little bit of time saved is inconsequential. I prefer the pennies* over the seconds!

perchjerker

*Still saving for that Jaguar!

so, here are my finished poppers.they look allright for my first ones,thay will get better with time.

Fished them this weekend, thay did ok, did hook up with fish on them,so all is well,mostley.Two of them started getting bubbles in the paint/epoxy,I think I did not coat them enough with epoxy.the last two I made I coated better they held up good.The other thing that I saw was some water between the paint and epoxy,mabey it will go away letting it dry out.

post-33030-1304370529_thumb.jpg

post-33030-1304370573_thumb.jpg

salty fly

Ambitious start. My first poppers were a solid color with eyes painted on.

I always try to have a strong light nearby when I epoxy a popper. After I think I've applied epoxy over the entire painted body, I inspect the body under the strong light to be certain no spot has been missed and there are no dimples(places where the paint is a crater surrounded by epoxy). The documentations for Thirty minute epoxy states it isn't workable after 30 minutes. But it is a lot longer than that before it completely cures... especially if the two parts aren't in equal amounts.