Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingtaz

Travel fly rods

Does anyone know of any good fly rods in an 8wt under 200$. I had a link for one I wanted to get before I had a computer crash, and no longer have the link. I've done a google search for travel rods, but have only found rods for over 200$. I have a tiny car, so would want a rod I can keep in the car, and not have to worry about having to move the rod around all the time, or even taking it out of the car when other people want to get in. Thanks for the look.

Does anyone know of any good fly rods in an 8wt under 200$. I had a link for one I wanted to get before I had a computer crash, and no longer have the link. I've done a google search for travel rods, but have only found rods for over 200$. I have a tiny car, so would want a rod I can keep in the car, and not have to worry about having to move the rod around all the time, or even taking it out of the car when other people want to get in. Thanks for the look.

I would talk with Steeldrifter of Midwest Custom Fly Rods, and see if he can build you one. He definitely does quality work, and he should be able to build you a rod in the specs you need.

most any 4 piece rod should be small enough , even in a hard case, to be tucked away in a tiny car. You could even attach some velcro to the overhead and velcro the rod up between the seats completely out of the way. Lots and lots of options under $200.

I would also agree that a regular 4-piece rod would most likely be more than small enough to pack in a car. My last two rods I bought have been 4-piece, and the convenience factor during travel is a big plus for me. My 2-piece 5wt is a lot more of a bear to pack around than either 4-piece rod. A typical 4-piece rod tube would come in around 2.5' long, or less, depending on total rod length.

Since I travel a lot when I go fishing, all my rods are now "travel" rods. In the last 6 or 7 years, I have sold off all my two piece rods. I have 2 cabelas (LST, and a Stowaway,) one Orvis (Frequent Flyer,) and a Sage RPL, and an Echo. The last two are three piece rods, and the others are 4, 78, and 6 pieces. They are all good performance for the dollar, and all have replacement policies that work. I broke two rods on the same trip two years ago. I can carry on all my rods these days, and 4, 6, and 7 piece rods all fit in the wheel well in the back of my CRV. The tire is on the back, and the floor lifts up, all my fishing gear is under there out of site.

Since I travel a lot when I go fishing, all my rods are now "travel" rods. In the last 6 or 7 years, I have sold off all my two piece rods. I have 2 cabelas (LST, and a Stowaway,) one Orvis (Frequent Flyer,) and a Sage RPL, and an Echo. The last two are three piece rods, and the others are 4, 78, and 6 pieces. They are all good performance for the dollar, and all have replacement policies that work. I broke two rods on the same trip two years ago. I can carry on all my rods these days, and 4, 6, and 7 piece rods all fit in the wheel well in the back of my CRV. The tire is on the back, and the floor lifts up, all my fishing gear is under there out of site.

I agree with utyer. I only use and make my own cane rods, but they are all 3 and 4 piece travle rods, unless they are 6' to 6 1/2 or under, then I can get away with packing a two piece.

When I travle I usually take two of each weight so I have a backup if disaster strikes. There is nothing worse than being caugh hundreds of miles from cililization with a broken rod and no backup when the trout are on.

2} 2weights 6 to 6 1/2' feet 2 piece

2} 3weights 7 to 8' feet 3 piece

2} 4weights 8 to 9' feet 3 or 4 piece. All with extra tips. I also carry extra thread and crazy glue for on the spot repairs. As long as it holds up long enough to get through the trip, Im happy

Some times I'll carry a 5weight as an extra for others to use. That pretty much covers me for any trout waters or wind conditions.