Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
clemmy

Bobbin weight: Is less more??

Thanks Folks!

Interesting answers Folks! I have been considering the Pettijean bobbin...

Another question since we are discussing bobbins; I realize that ideally a tyer should keep his scissors in his hand. But I've also read where you are supposed to keep your bobbin in hand. Which leaves me confused. I figure my left hand to hold/stroke/etc. materials, so are BOTH bobbin and scissors supposed to stay in the right hand?

Thanks!

Craig

sure! you can have the scissors in your while using the bobbin holder but eventually you have to let it go to tie on materials etc

The 'one word' answer to your last question is: YES. It will be awkward, perhaps, at first, but just hang in there, and it will become second nature. As flytire noted, you will occasionally have to let go of the bobbin to get and attach new materials. This is especially true when spinning/stacking deer hair, for example.

perchjerkere

Thanks Folks!

Another question since we are discussing bobbins; I realize that ideally a tyer should keep his scissors in his hand. But I've also read where you are supposed to keep your bobbin in hand. Which leaves me confused. I figure my left hand to hold/stroke/etc. materials, so are BOTH bobbin and scissors supposed to stay in the right hand?

Thanks!

Craig

Interesting answers Folks! I have been considering the Pettijean bobbin...

I love my Ekich automatic bobbins and with my auto dubber they rock, but I still wanted to try the MP's, I'm going away for three weeks natural brook trout so I ordered a few of Mark's bobbins yesterday to take in travle kit. Should be here in three or four days. Batch #5 is already completely sold out! I'll post a review after I try them