Fly Tying
Kirk Dietrich

Foil Poppers/Sliders, my first

These aren't the traditional, long pencil poppers; don't have the long hooks and didn't feel like extending with leader wire so, I just tied some long tails. Foil heads are a lot quicker than painting but still fun to do. These are on a #2 Mustad, made in Norway kink shank hook, I'm anxious to fish them and see if the down eye adversely effects their performance.

Kirk

DSC_2022.jpg

DSC_2021.jpg

DSC_2016.jpg

WOW those are amazing !!!! Are they foam or balsa? I am fixing to be trying my look at some balsa poppers that a friend on here sent me some bodies. I hope they come out as good as yours or his yall both make amazing poppers..

Reaction, thanks, they are made out of balsa. The soft balsa allows the impression made from the checkered razor handle to make the impression in the foil. If you do a search here on FTF for foil poppers, there are some posts with some pretty good discussions and even links to some step by steps.

Kirk

Kirk, my goodness I am blown totally away by these poppers. You outdid yourself on them. The eyes are supreme. I love them!!!

Thanks Stippled.

Reaction, there is a wealth of info here on balsa in general too.

Kel, thanks. I got the eyes from ole' Walt Holman ever since I met him and saw him tie at a conclave in Texas years ago I've been doing my popper eyes like that. Not that the fish care of course, but they do look cool.

Kirk

Kirk, those are fantastic! :clapping:

I have some old popper hooks with down turned eyes, and although I prefer straight eye hooks, if you tie them to your tippet with a loop they work just fine!

These are awsome!!! I have to make some, can you buy balsa bodies. And are you painting or using markers? Sweet