Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mtbbrian

Rocky's Fly

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Rock Maley recently, at the Wastach Fly Fishing Expo, where I was a part of a group of two other photographers that were showing our photography.

He comes over to our booth with a couple of flies and asks us if we'd like to photograph them.

I was very much into it, because I have never done anything like it.

I told him I could do it in color but he was more than happy with me doing it black and white, he has seen these and likes them.

Because they are as long as they are, I thought I'd try a Holgarama version and a single frame version too.

But what about you? Does the Holgrama version work or is it best done as a single frame?

Thanks!

Brian

post-12875-1303677567_thumb.jpg

post-12875-1303677582_thumb.jpg

I refuse to choose on the grounds it may incriminate me...they both are killer photos!

I refuse to choose on the grounds it may incriminate me...they both are killer photos!

Fair enough...

Thanks for commenting!

Brian

Well, if you're asking for an opinion, I don't care for either photo. I know Rocky ties a mean fly and these pictures do nothing for me besides make me wonder what's the point.

Well, if you're asking for an opinion, I don't care for either photo. I know Rocky ties a mean fly and these pictures do nothing for me besides make me wonder what's the point.

You are absolutely right about Rocky's tying abilities, and in some way his flies and others like it should be in color to appreciate them in all of the color and ornate beauty. That being said there is a certain timelessness to fly fishing and flies like Rocky's that I am able to achieve from using my Holga and black and white film.

Which I think is the point..

Thanks for commenting and sharing your opinion.

Brian

I don't mind attempts of trying something different, out of the box so to speak, when taking pics but when 95% of the fly is out of focus, that's where I said what's the point just because it was basically blurry to my eyes.....and I just got a fresh prescription and set of glasses last month!! :bugeyes:

Black & white photos are great to change things up, don't get me wrong.

Brian,I like and get your concept.What I don't like are pictures that look like my old photos,out of focus.

When I got my new camera I started to slow down,take my time with my shots.Check and double check.I do the same with all I can.

All the Best,Joe