Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
moskito_01

Hello from freezing Germany

Hi guys and girls,

my name is Andy and I live in Augsburg/Germany.

Flyfishing caught my eye for the first time when I was 17 living in Boise Idaho. (I am 30 now...... wow, I just realized.... )

I then took about a 10 year break from it, don`t ask me why, people do strange things sometimes, and am back with flyfishing since Oktober 2003.

Two weeks ago I tied my first fly. It looks like crap, but it caught fish with it so I guess i`t could have been worse. It was a Hare`s Ear Nymph by the way (at least it should have been one).

Well, now I found this great site and joined hoping you all will make me the best flytier I can be.

So please, do your best, I sure will.

Andy

Welcome to the site Andy, this is a great place to learn, alot of great tyers from all over the world.. Hope to see you around the site often.. cheers.gif

Welcome Andy!!

Sorry to hear it's freezing there, and that your 30!! We are almost to freezing here in Michigan.

I know how you feel about your first fly looking like crap. Mine was suppose to be a Woolly Bugger. The only thing it resembled was woolly. Just stick with it and you will get better.

BFR

Welcome Andy. Boise is a nice place from what I hear and have seen. Never been there but my boss lived there for quite a few years. Winter is here for alot of us I guess , We've had snow on the ground for the last few days here on Cape Breton Island (Nova Scotia) I don't think it gets as cold here as it does in Germany. So best advice stay inside, tie lots of flies and enjoy this site.

Cheers,

CapeBSalar

Hey fellas,

thanx for the warm welcome. I can use anything "warm" right now.

Boise really is beautiful. Great fishing in Idaho too. At least as far as I can remember.

I tied a Wolly Bugger last night and actually it worked really good. It looks good even. I showed it to one of my expert buddies and he said it`s perfect. headbang.gif

As soon as I get out of the office I will have to head to my local store. I need feathers and fluffy stuff.

Sure you know the feeling.

Tie on.

Andy

Welcome aboard Andy, and greetings from freezing Ontario (Canada). Sounds like the real critic, the fish, thought your first fly was just fine. My first flies were tied with feathers from the slowest chickens and thread from my moms sewing kit. My vice was a surveyers pen with a C-clamp to hold it to my desk! Not very pretty, but worked well enough to fool a few creek chub and speckled trout with poor vision, and it got me hooked on this great past time. All the best, stay warm.

Welcome to the board! I live in the rainy south (today at least). It's 54 degrees right now but getting into the 30's Sunday morning. However, we have trout fishing all year in Tennessee. Going tomorrow to try out a new rig and do a bug sampling with our TU chapter to monitor water quality on the Hiwassee River. My first fly looked like a booger with no woolly. Getting better at tying or we have blind or stupid fish locally. The folks on the site are great and have been a big help. Ask questions and prepare for lots of responses. headbang.gif

Andy welcome aboard its great to see people living in other countrys join the site to add some different perspective to things, nice to have you here.

As to your first fly, dont worry about the way it looked as long as the fish liked it thats what counts...you can drive yourself crazy trying to get a fly just "perfect" and in the end the only thing you catch with it is a "great fly" from a fisherman.

So just starting out dont be hard on yourself, it will come to you as long as you stick with it.

SD

Welcome aboard. I was about same age when I lived in Uetze, Germany (17 that is). Loved Augsburg when I was there.

Been to Boise many a times. Was just there a couple months ago.

Welcome aboard. Glad to see you here.

Yeah, I'm ready to go back. Been dying to go for a few years now. Been waiting for my kids to be old enough to actually remember the trip. Haven't been back since about 91' or so. REALLY miss it. Have lots of friends still living there I'll be staying with.

Hello Moskito

Welcome from (rainy) Holland

<German part>

Wie gehts im Deutchland. Ich war shone mal Angeln in dem Kyl und der Prum.

</german part>

translation

I have been fishing in the Kyl and Prum river.

These are driveable for a 1 day fishing trip.