Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jhammer

Fishing Report 5-5-11

Yesterday, I decided that it was absolutely necessary to go fishing because it was around 70 degrees and beautiful outside. Days like that come few and far between with the wacky, wet spring we're having in Northwest Ohio. The fishing was pretty slow today though. I only caught two fish. But, I managed to get a good sized bluegill and a really nice Fish Ohio crappie. The crappie was a little over 13 inches. I thought I hooked a nice bass at first because it hit so hard, it took some line out of my fingers. Both fish were caught on a yellow and pink wooly worm I tied. I missed a couple fish as well though. But, it was a great time nevertheless!

post-32910-0-04848500-1304654906_thumb.jpg

I'm envious!!! I have yet to get out this year.....

Mike

I'm a firm believer that the crappie is the most underrated fish to chase on the fly. Usually by this point I'd be in double digits for Fish Ohio crappies, but the weather in SE Ohio royally screwed me this year. My biggest on the year is 15 1/4" so far.

They tend to strike a streamer quite aggressively, and they fight better than most give them credit for on the fly rod. Last spring I had one pushing 16" on my 5wt and it gave me a heavyweight battle. The big one earlier this spring pulled my kayak a little ways! Don't be afraid to chuck some bigger streamers for the larger fish. I've caught them on #2 EP shad patterns this spring when I have been able to get out.