Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mahaney

Dr Slick vs Orvis Master Tools

Is there any quality difference between Dr. Slick and Orvis Master Tools? I know the Orvis tools are more expensive, but I got a few coupons at the new Orvis store opening, so the price equals out between the two brands.

Thanks,

-Jim

I asked the same question to a former manager of the Company Store in our area and he said although they look the same, they are not Slicks. I have a pair of the fine point scissors and haven't found any quality differences. I do have some issues with a pair of Slicks that I dropped off the table. The point got bent and the metal seems very soft. I bent them back and now they're reduced to cutting wire and lead. dry.gif

I have a pair of the dr slicks titanium scissors and they are the best that I have every used well worth the money

I have the titanium scissors and love them. I have couple of Dr. Slick's ceramic bobbins and hate them. Compared to other ceramic bobbins they stink. They are hard to thread. The Orvis Super Smooth bobbin is my favorite. Especially the curved model. It seems to fit in my hand better. I would suggest buying individual peices instead of a kit. I started with a complete tool kit, and now the only piece I still use is the whip finisher.

I like the scissors, especailly the fine point and razor scissors. I also think their hemostats are nice - better than Bangladeshi or other foreign manufacture. Other than that, I use other companies for bobbins and such.

Orvis = overpriced in my book, so I avoid them even on sale - it's tha principle. I don't want to encourage them.

I was thinking about getting a pair of the titanium myself, sounds like you guys that have them are quite happy with their performance.

yeah I don't think you can find any better ones for your money. I just going to pick up a pair of cheap ones at my local shop than the owner got so excited that he had the Dr. in that Instited I get them and if i didn't love them he would give me my money back plus through in a pair of the cheap-o's. Needless to say he still has my money and I have the DR. Slicks !!!!! headbang.gif

Agree, Dr. Slick's titanium scissors are very good. I have been using them for 4-5 months, one pair fine tip and one 4 inch GP pair. Very sharp and I like the fine tips. I use Griffin ceramic peewee bobbins, the shorter length, 3 inches, allows me better thread control, especially when tying smaller on smaller hooks. I hold my scissors and whip tool in my right hand and can still use my ring finger (the next-to-little-one) as a drag to control thread tension. Have a harder time doing this with the standard length bobbins. Once you get used to doing something in a particular way, it becomes a habit.

Too you guys that own the titanium slicks...i know titanium is not cheap so how much do they run price wise and how do they seem to hold the edge without sharpining?

SD

I had considered adding Dr. Slick scissors to the group purchase and since everybody seems to love them I just may do that this weekend. wink.gif

I own an Orvis Master Set supplemented by many other tools. I find the Master Set to be of excellent quality except for the Ceramic Bobbin Holder that comes with the kit. This bobbin has a red ceramic point with a narower channel than the other Orvis Super Smooths. I have had this bobbin replaced by the Orvis Dealer twice as both times it broke the ceramic part in half as soon as I inserted the Bobbin Threader that comes with the set. All of the other Orvis Bobbins that I bought such as the Magnum and the Curved don't have any problems. As for the other tools in the set, perfect.....

Noooooo not more group purchases. im gonna go broke!!! lol

I've been thinking of picking up a pair of Dr Slicks, so we'll see. smile.gif

Josh

WW Doaks in Doaktown New Brunswick on the Miramichi River lists them for $50.00-$52.00 USD for Hair 4.5", Arrow 3.5" and All Purp. 4" Per pair. If anyone is interested in ordering from them the address is wwwdoak.com They are a full service Salmon Fly shop and cater heavily to an American clientele.

well I got min In Ottawa and paid only 29.99 so I quess i got a great deal and maybe he sold them for the wrong price