Fly Tying
Rocco

A Well-Done to You All

I am a new guy here but with many decades of past experience in flytying, fly fishing etc. I am simply blown away daily by the quality of the flies tied by the posters here. The innovative designs --liflelike and atractors; the balance of materials; and quality of finish are stunning. Add to this a willingness to share and try new ideas and you have a real winner of a fly tying site.

It is more than little humbling. I will be a lot more reluctant in future to proudly display my raggedy efforts -- even though they catch fish. At 68, I have a lot to learn.

Rocco

You should post you flies. Besides the fact that someone my want to try them. You may also help someone with questions the have with a how to.

Kevin

I'm just a young pup (66,) and I too have a lot to learn after 45+ years of tying. But NOWHERE is it written that the "raggety efforts" af ANY tyer won't catch fish. Please continue to post your flies, if they are flies that work for you so much the better, if they are flies your wanting to learn how improove, as for comments.

Here are a few of my more "raggety efforts," and they all work just fine no improvement necessary.

Well Rocco I guess that I am a young pup too since I am only 63 and have only been tying off and on for 40+ years. As I have said before, "I have learned more here in the last 3 years than I learned in all the preceding years".

Rocco, when you stop learning, you might as well stop living! I'm not as old as some of you @ 55, and have been tying for almost 45 years. I tied commercially for 15 years, and consider myself a pretty good tier. However, you're right, there are some amazingly talented people here, who readily & freely share that talent! No one person here knows everything there is to know about fly tying! I've also learned a lot from folks here & hope to continue learning! I don't have the ability to create artistic or innovative designs that some here possess, so I always look forward to seeing anything posted! Sometimes I think to myself, hey, I've seen that before, but many times I think, wow, what a great idea! Then, I can often expand on what has been posted. Sometimes we all just need a little nudge to get our minds working!

The generosity here also amazes me! Don't think that you're "raggety efforts" have no value here! If even one person learns something from you, then it's well worth the time spent posting! Besides, even at your experience level, a little critique never hurts! Share what you've done, it doesn't hurt a bit!

This is without a doubt the best group of fly tiers in the world!

Rocco, as long as the quality of the tie is good, raggety appearances are usually good. Now, raggety construction where the fly falls apart after one fish or it doesn't float/sink/swim as designed, is not a good thing. As said above, if it works or you have questions, post.

Here are a few of my more "raggety efforts," and they all work just fine no improvement necessary.

They don't get much more raggety than that. Great looking flies especially the most raggetiest of them all, that grey one. Looks very fishy to me.

Kirk

Utyer, I was looking at your flies and especially the middle one must look awesome in the water. How do you get the dubbing that "big"? I´m having a bit of trouble with the language barrier at the moment so if you do not understand please let me know and I will try to explain better :D Just realized that the weather is perfect so I´m gonna go ahead and fish for a while and see if my ragggety flies can catch some sea trout.

Swedish,

If there is a secret, its in the dubbing brush I use to comb out the dubbing. I got mine from a craft store years ago, it was called a "tatting brush." The were used to brush out tapistry needle work to make it look fuzzy.

You can see one here, and purchase them now from this online shop. I haven't seen them anywhere else in years.

http://www.dreamdriftflies.com/product_info.php?cPath=181_235&products_id=3995&osCsid=d1312f37508a243f5a0576d433d84adc

I start with a blend of dubbing (home made) with plenty of guard hairs. Then I twist in a loop, and after its wrapped, and rib applied, brush it on all sides.

Here are two additional items I keep in my kit for getting that "fluffy" look on looped dubbing...the first is hook n' loop on a stick and the second is also used on my firearms- a.22 cal rifle, bore brush is also useful...

mt-_5_.jpg

Brush...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=747468

PT/TB :)

Rocco,WELCOME,from another newbie. These guys on here are great.Very helpful down to earth no stuffy shirts.Meat and potatoe guys.

Having said that,Swedish,I use a dubbing loop to give my bodies some fuzzy size too.I use a .22 calibre wire cleaning brush to

pick out dubbing.It's a whole lot easier to find.

ALL the Best,Joe