Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Li'lDave

A SAGE Swan Song

Went kayaking this weekend just gone with a bunch of mates... I was the only fly fisher and I was real keen to get into a few.... It started well on Saturday even though the conventional tackle was winning out...

I slipped into the drink catching this one (a Sooty Grunter) :lol: ... which will be memorable for another reason :huh:

flysootyhead.jpg

flysooty.jpg

It was caught on this black over pink bucktail clouser minnow with bead-chain eyes (tied on an #2 SL12SS hook)

weedguardedclouser.jpg

I didn't know it was going to be my last on this rod... That is until I capsized and let it fall to the bottom in ~3m of water while I clung to a tree in order to save myself.

The last known picture of the fly rod

lastknownwhereaboutsofDavesflyrod.jpg

It was a great trip out though... but a word of warning... even in the Tropics Hypothermia is a real issue you need to consider.

I'm OK, and I only lost things.... B)

Sorry to hear about the lost gear, but glad to hear you are OK. Be careful out there!

thanks guys... it was still a fantastic trip :D ...

I was the only fly fisher so it was disappointing to lose my rod... Between us we still managed about 50 for the day (on hard bodied and soft plastic lures), all released of course ;)