Fly Tying
Kirk Dietrich

Stonefly generic, Dry and Nymph

Stimulators are hard to beat for the top side in my opinion, as for the underside I really don't tie that many so not all to sure.

Steve

Look up the pattern for the Norm Woods Special buy Old Hat. Its in the database, very much like a stimulator, but with a pink hair wing. Its a regonal favorite on the Dechutes. There was a challenge this past January on stonefly nymphs plenty of good patterns there. I like to keep my stonefly nymphs simple, and deep. My favorite nymph pattern is the Brooks stonefly nymph (aka Montana Stonefly nymph.) This pattern (tied on a weighted 4xl hook,) is pretty simple. Wool body, in black size 4, with black and grizzly hackle. Brown body in size 4 and 6, brown with grizzly hackle. Golden tan body size 6, with ginger hackle. Tails on all are split biots in colors to match. Rib bodies with either mono, or copper wire. Three turns of hackle on the front 1/3 to 1/2 of body are all you need. No wingcases or wing pads on this pattern. Works well for me. Nymphs for the Dechutes should be heavily weighted, some patterns are done with double beads, and 25 turns of lead is sometimes not enough. I have attached a couple of Brooks stones.

post-12074-0-46232600-1305558774_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-92934200-1305558814_thumb.jpg

By generic I assume you mean patterns you can easily find in flyshops? Norm Woods Special, Rogue Stone and Clark's Stone are popular dries. For nymphs Kaufmann's Stone is the obvious choice. I would have both nymphs and dries in Salmonfly size and somewhat smaller Golden Stone versions.

I have had a lot of luck over the years with this fly you won't find in a flyshop. Devil's Canyon Stone.

DCStonesmall.jpg

By generic I assume you mean patterns you can easily find in flyshops? Norm Woods Special, Rogue Stone and Clark's Stone are popular dries. For nymphs Kaufmann's Stone is the obvious choice. I would have both nymphs and dries in Salmonfly size and somewhat smaller Golden Stone versions.

I have had a lot of luck over the years with this fly you won't find in a flyshop. Devil's Canyon Stone.

DCStonesmall.jpg

That's a good-looking fly. Any chance you could add it to the database? :)

That is a good looking nymph.

By generic, I guess I mean something that is a general imitation as I don't know what exact fly will be in that river. A friend of mine is going and I wanted to tie him up a few general patterns. The Fly Shop he is has a guide out of sells flies pretty cheap and I told him he should buy what they have but I still wanted to tie him up a half dozen or so to take.

Kirk

Kirk,

You might have a look at www.Deschutesangler.com or here http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/stone.htm for what's currently in fashion on the Deschutes. But all of the flies mentioned in this thread should work.

Your wish is my command.

First off, i have not tried these patterns myself... yet. but if you want good looking stonefly imitations i would recommend J:son flies. It is a Swedish company and i think they ship internationally. Check it out at http://shop.jsonsweden.com/Default.aspx I am planning to try these out in the near future and if there is an interest i would gladly submit a review when i am done.

Kirk,

You might have a look at www.Deschutesangler.com or here http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/stone.htm for what's currently in fashion on the Deschutes. But all of the flies mentioned in this thread should work.

Your wish is my command.

Many thanks! :lol:

DCStonesmall.jpg

Warning! Shameless thread-jack!

I've been trying like heck to get my pheasant tail fibers to look like that on the legs of some nymphs. How do you get them to lay nice and flat and splay outward under the PT thorax? Thanks in advance and sorry for changing the subject.

--RC

I've been trying like heck to get my pheasant tail fibers to look like that on the legs of some nymphs. How do you get them to lay nice and flat and splay outward under the PT thorax? Thanks in advance and sorry for changing the subject.

--RC

The key would be, don't use pheasant tail. ;) I used an English grouse hackle feather on that fly. Other feathers will work. It is tied in and pulled over the thorax, in the same manner as the wingcase. Here is a tutorial that will explain better than I can. http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=28 Another good stonefly nymph BTW.

--RC

The key would be, don't use pheasant tail. ;) I used an English grouse hackle feather on that fly. Other feathers will work. It is tied in and pulled over the thorax, in the same manner as the wingcase. Here is a tutorial that will explain better than I can. http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=28 Another good stonefly nymph BTW.

Ahh! That makes good sense. Thank you very much for the link!

--RC