Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salmobytes

Eye spot feathers

The following streamer has an eye-spot made with an unknown and unidentified feather I found in my boxes (this is a small feather tied on top of Silver Pheasant feather). What similar eye-spot feathers are legally available? Jungle cock is available, but prohibitively expensive. What legal feathers have an eye-like spot? Guinea Fowl has too many spots. I'm wondering about single spot feathers......which probably don't exist. I just thought I'd ask. You never know what you don't know, even when you know it.

Bankrobber.jpg

....that's a Bankrobber, for what it's worth. The weight (solid wire solder) is on the bottom of a curved hopper hook--so the hook

rides up. The front-protruding solder encounters rocks or branches before the fly itself, which causes the hook to tip up as it jumps over the branch, un-snagged. You can cast a Bankrobber right into a log jamb and nearly always get it back again. I developed the Bankrobber when my wife was first learning how to cast. It not only catches fish--it saved my marriage.

Ya that does look like the dot could have been drawn on with a marker, but hey the fish don't know that.

The following streamer has an eye-spot made with an unknown and unidentified feather I found in my boxes. What similar eye-spot feathers are legally available? Jungle cock is available, but prohibitively expensive. What legal feathers have an eye-like spot? Guinea Fowl has too many spots. I'm wondering about single spot feathers......which probably don't exist. I just thought I'd ask. You never know what you don't know, even when you know it.

Bankrobber.jpg

....that's a Bankrobber, for what it's worth. The weight (solid wire solder) is on the bottom of a curved hopper hook--so the hook

rides up. The front-protruding solder encounters rocks or branches before the fly itself, which causes the hook to tip up as it jumps over the branch, un-snagged. You can cast a Bankrobber right into a log jamb and nearly always get it back again. I developed the Bankrobber when my wife was first learning how to cast. It not only catches fish--it saved my marriage.

I have read that starling can be used as a jungle cock substitute. I can't recall if it is winter or summer plumage, but one of those has feathers with contrasting points.

The other feather that has an 'eye-spot' is the neck/breast feather of a male Mearn's quail. These are white spots on black feathers. They are legal, but extremely difficult to find.

None of the feathers mentioned will produce the eye and such a large part of the body as the depicted pheasant feather. These feathers are readily available as are black Pantone Pens. The technique used on this fly appears to be the most practical, and least expensive, way to replicate this fly, assuming this is what your intent is.

perchjerker

I'm pretty sure that small black feather with a gold tip is a starling feather, the starling skins are legal and cheap.

The black "eye on the fly is not part of the lightly barred feather that acts as a "cheek". the brown/black Eye feather looks like something off the neck-head area of a reingneck pheasant. thats my two cents

The cheek feather is Silver Pheasant, and the eye appears to me to be starling! What you are looking at are two feathers, not one.

Why are the peacock herls tied in backwards?

looks like he change the original photo that was posted which was obviously marked with a marker to this one shown above

it does appear to be a starling feather on the latest photo

They are both the same photo....It's starling winter plumage that would work. Tropogan is more expensive than JC!