Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyFishin'Jam

Fishing Report/ Fly Testing 16th May, Canada

So drove to one of my usual steelhead haunts after a weekend in Ottawa and Brockville, didn't manage to fish there but i heard the panfish were about. Needed to test a few of the flies i have spent all winter tying up.

So it had been raining all weekend non stop, the water was very high and there was a great amount of sticks and leaves and crap moving down it, later during the night we found out there was some high water alert issued that day. Anyway just decided to swing some streamers around and probe pockets during this high water, seems to work. Here is a picture of one of the steelhead.

I look a bit like a drowned rat in these pics - ugh i certainly was not fashionable on the water! LOL

post-29540-0-06219500-1305649488_thumb.jpg

post-29540-0-92954100-1305649496_thumb.jpg

post-29540-0-57924300-1305653083_thumb.jpg

Beautifule fish! The image of the flies is not loading for me.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk, the shrimps had a quick swim and quickly worked! A pattern that no steelhead here has probably ever seen, i guess it pays to get a little experimental with your flies instead of sticking to just a couple of 'proven ties'. Think this seasons total is about 7 now, sure beats sitting around waiting for bass to open!

I better take an image in focus at some stage (let me see whats going on i think the image is too big), it's all blurry anyway and i am just useless in the field with a camera - seem to be concentrating more on fishing than anything else and when i take a break to soak it all in i never seem to pull out the camera.

*edit* think i fixed it with a resize

Great fish and an impressive looking fly box. It's funny how fishing can sometimes be great in nasty weather conditions. I guess its why some of us insist on staying out in down pours while more sane people head for cover :lol:

hahaha yeah nasty conditions don't usually deter me too much from the fishing, especially if i have planned it ahead of time. It was great had the entire river to ourselves except half way through our hike we saw some smoke and came across a hobo camp! Was a bunch of homeless bums drinking strong beer under a tarp by the river all hidden away. I thought i had seen it all before.

I know what your talking about!last year I went to a stream in the evening with my niece to drown some wet flies for brook trout.When we got there we were standing on the bridge when we heard a hoarse voice say "go home".We looked down and there was a man passed out in a pile of beer cans right next to the creek!It was getting close to dark so we went home,but I'm sure most of his beer cans made it into the creek. :angry:

I know what your talking about!last year I went to a stream in the evening with my niece to drown some wet flies for brook trout.When we got there we were standing on the bridge when we heard a hoarse voice say "go home".We looked down and there was a man passed out in a pile of beer cans right next to the creek!It was getting close to dark so we went home,but I'm sure most of his beer cans made it into the creek. :angry:

Yeah the 'campsite' was littered with beer cans, for some reason i think they may have saved them to take back and get some change to buy more. They were 'weird' to say the least, one tried to spark up a conversation about fishing but i kinda just wanted to move on asap, we certainly found their 'nest'.

Among the more interesting litter moving downstream was a softball and a couple of 'matchbox toy cars'. High water is pretty interesting! Full of 'what the hell is that!!?' moments.

@bluegill576 - Yeah you should find some spots to fish for steel, they are a lot of fun! And put up a great fight for their size! It's not as hard or technical as some would lead you to believe. The only thing i can think of is to be there when the fish are there, and dissect the river into manageable portions presenting your fly nicely (sometimes they can be in quite shallow). I only started bothering with them a couple of years ago as i was focused on Bass.

2 months till i head off for some British Columbia action, so all this testing has been helpful!