Fly Tying
SteveGibson

Gibby's DT Variation

My go-to fly in the surf for snook is my DT Variation, an offshot of the original DT Special. I tweaked the original over the years to suit my needs. It has accounted for more than 5,000 snook in the surf, including fish to 40 inches.

20110517_6865_edited-1.jpg

20110517_6860_edited-1.jpg

The DT Special is an awesome fly and I really like your variant with the red nose. Did the original recipe use eyes? I can't remember but I like the looks of them here. Will definitely tie up several of these.

The DT Special is an awesome fly and I really like your variant with the red nose. Did the original recipe use eyes? I can't remember but I like the looks of them here. Will definitely tie up several of these.

No, the original DT did not have eyes. It was bascially a Stu Apte Tarpon Fly tied in all white. The tail feathers were splayed and the entire hook shank was wrapped. I do not splay the feathers.

I didn't think it did, at least I never used them but I will now. Any specific reason you don't splay the feathers for this fly? Does it help the fly get down faster in the surf?

I didn't think it did, at least I never used them but I will now. Any specific reason you don't splay the feathers for this fly? Does it help the fly get down faster in the surf?

I think it gets down a little quicker. I also added eyes because I believe a fly with eye produces more fish. Added epoxy: 1. to keep eyes on; 2. make fly more durable.

Totally agree with the statement that a fly with an eye produces more fish. I have noticed this to be especially true when throwing at docklight snook and trout. I know when to change flies when I stop getting bit.