Fly Tying
hyperbaricstalker

What price for TC scissors?

So as my first pair of scissors, I bought the Dr. Slick 4" Razor scissors. I also have a shitty 1$ pair i use for wire. 2 questions...

In the best case scenario, what is the proper number/style of scissors for the tying?

and at what price would you pay for Tungsten Carbide scissors? I have seen them listed for 80$ or so, but also found the metz scissors for 23. 5$ cheaper than I paid for my Razors >.<

The number of types probably depends on what kind of tying you do. The more different types of materials you use, you may find that specific types of scissors make working with some types of materials easier. I tied with a single pair of 4 inch scissors for many years, but eventually purchased more types, and they did make things easier for me.

I bought a pair of TC's about 10 years ago, and paid about $35 for them. I've seen them, although not fly tying specific, for over $200. If you look around you should be able to find a good pair for less than $50. I just saw a pair listed on Ebay that was less than $30, but don't remember the specifics of the dimensions. Tungsten Carbide is just like anything else, there are different grades, (same with stainless) and as such the scissors made with it will vary. But even a "cheap" pair will be better than the best stainless scissors.

I have Dr Slick 4" razor and like them well enough...did not hold and edge as long as I thought they would, however, could just be me and the way I use them. I also do not like the fact that they are made in Pakistan, hell even my favorite pair of razor Fiskars are made in Mexico.

Next pair of sciccors well be made in the USA...Along the lines of Anvil (I have Anvil taperizors and coulden't be happier).

I have to agree with you panama red as far as Dr slicks being made in Pakistan, i have a pair of curved anvils, and like them a lot i just wish that they would make them with closed finger loops. I tie with them in my hand so they get hung up on the bobbin at times.

Sixth Finger 4.5" Tungsten, $28 at Stockards. I've been using the stainless steel version($20) for about 2 years and they still cut like the day I got them. smiley-dance010.gif