Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
centerx

Raw Foam Popper Heads

The Wapsi style popper heads are nice. However it would be fun to form your own. Anybody know were to secure any of the raw high density foam that they use for these?

I've no idea where you could obtain the hard foam style of Wapsi Poppers. However, for the soft foam Wapsi poppers, Flip Flop Soles and other foams may be used.

There are threads discussing making such poppers. Here is a link to one:

Dremel Poppers

Those looked pretty good! Just want to play with something I could "turn" myself for some custom profiles. All I need is white for some custom paint as well

For that you need to find a company that specializes in eva foams. Ufp technologies in mass is one. But there are many others. Buy foam blocks and you can turn your own.

Those looked pretty good! Just want to play with something I could "turn" myself for some custom profiles. All I need is white for some custom paint as well

I've glued sheet foam together and turned it before. You can make them multicolored too. Good luck.

Well.... after some research I think what Wapsi sells may be a product that has been injected into a mould using a 2 part polyurethane "plastic" foam" If true a mould would have to be created or purchased. A company by the name of Hilt used to have those moulds but apparently they were purchased by another company. I'm not sure if they offer them or not.

I would be curios if you could just cast the foam into square blanks and then turn/sand that to shape? The foam product is still available by several different names. Might have to make it a winter project!

First, I've bought some of sneektip's bodies & they're excellent! :)

2nd, centerx, I have one of the old molds that Hilts used to sell, but have not tried to use it. They no longer sell the molds or the 2 part foam, and I've not been able to find out what formula was used. They're under different ownership, and are only making molds for pouring lead. I contacted the new owners, but they could not provide me any info about the old popper molds.

I did find the foam from other sources, but there are different formula's for 2 part foam, and I didn't want to risk damaging my mold.

You could however, buy a blank Do It mold & have a machine shop cut the shapes you desire, and pour them with the 2 part foam. The original Hilts molds are plastic, but a Do It blank would be aluminum & likely be a lot more durable, so I doubt the foam type would be a great problem. The only issue might be the expense of buying the blank mold & the machining.

I also bought a blank Do It mold with this in mind, but have yet to get around to having a mold made! :rolleyes: