Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jhammer

Fly Fishing for Shovelheads??

Flathead Catfish and fly fishing are two things that do not usually cross a fly fisherman's mind. After landing quite a few of these beasts, I'll share an article I wrote a while back about these awesome behemoths. This may be the most unconventional type of fly fishing you've ever heard about, but the rewards can be amazing! ;)

Fly Fishing for Flathead Catfish

i have caught a few catfish on the fly myself (my first fish on the fly)I have caught them in my pond at the house and at the lake numerous times. I don't use any scent on my flies or cut bait although it works wonders when fishing for cats i have caught them on the crappie killer pattern here on the site under a popping rig i found for fly fishing for crappie. I have also caught them on poppers and the ever reliable woolly bugger. But i do "cheat" sometimes when fishing the pond at home we feed them a floating fish pellet food and i "matched the hatch" using foam making a pellet shaped fly and colored it the tan/ brown that the food is. If you want to target catfish they feed furiously right after ice off and will take just about any shad imitation or other bait fish imitation. And another thing why not catch catfish they are very good eating for the most part.

post-29965-0-86145400-1306805685_thumb.jpg