Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jhammer

I'm now a commercial fly tyer!

Well folks, I worked out a deal with the local bait store and they now carry my flies. I've got an online store I'm working on as well. I just wanted to start off small to see if I can handle it/like it. I supply the local store with patterns that are excellent producers catered to the native fish in the area. Any shop owners/commercial tyers got any tips? I've done an incredible amount of research before jumping in. It's something that I really have a passion for and I hope to have a good time doing it.

Good job! Well for a tip if you are selling to an actual fly shop you can ask if they can give you a store credit instead of cash and you can usually get more so you can get materials or fly fishing supplies.

TIP: Don't take on more than you can handle & don't make promises you can't keep! :rolleyes:

TIP: Tie & stock pile as many of the most popular patterns as you can in the off season, this will help you keep up with demands during the fishing season. ;)

I quit tying for people...it made tying no fun for me....now I only sell to the occasional person. And friends. once the show season opens though....that might all change...

There's a small art festival here in town I may set up a section at to sell some flies and do a little "live" tying demonstrations. I've not committed to anything major yet because who knows if my health will act up or not. So far, so good though. B)

Ill 2nd the fact that it makes it not fun anymore. When i was tying for the shops, friends, and family, it made tying stressful. People want their flies right away and when they dont get them, they are not very happy about it. But, thats just my take on the experience. You might find it enjoyable and love it. Congrats though! its makes you feel good when you know people want your flies

Congrats and good luck. All above good advice and cautions.

Also, remember to keep track of your material purchases and fishing trip expenses, the later of which can be written off as product testing expenses.

Kirk

The hardest part of the whole thing has been trying to convince the wife that my fishing is actually research lol! I really do go out and test different colors during different conditions to see what the fish prefer. I still get the same old thing though..."Fishing is fishing, and I know how much you love it. You can't fool me!" :blink:

The hardest part of the whole thing has been trying to convince the wife that my fishing is actually research lol! I really do go out and test different colors during different conditions to see what the fish prefer. I still get the same old thing though..."Fishing is fishing, and I know how much you love it. You can't fool me!" :blink:

Man, our wives must have been sisters in another life. I used to guide for redfish and get the same response you did. I tried to explain that I wasn't even fishing and I was on a platform pushing a boat around with a 20 foot long push pole finding fish for other people to fish for. You know that whenever I had a charter to take out, she still would say, "oh, going fishing tomorrow, huh?".

Kirk

Man, our wives must have been sisters in another life. I used to guide for redfish and get the same response you did. I tried to explain that I wasn't even fishing and I was on a platform pushing a boat around with a 20 foot long push pole finding fish for other people to fish for. You know that whenever I had a charter to take out, she still would say, "oh, going fishing tomorrow, huh?".

Kirk

Wives, can't live with em, can't live with em!!!!smiley-laughing001.gifsmiley-love007.gif

well i tie around 700-800 dozen a year and let me tell you, the grass isnt as green on the other side as you think it is. dont get me wrong, i love tying, but commercial tying forces you to tie when you "want to take a break" from it or want to do something else for a change. but hey congrats. ;)

I must have great luck or something. Now, I have to go to the doctor for strep throat! Ah well, at least I got the majority of my work done and I don't feel all that bad! I'm thankful though that I'm not ultra-busy at least, but you gotta do whatcha gotta do right? B)