Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingtaz

Tools of the trade

I've been thinking about My tying, and future rod building area. I went to Harbor Freight Tools today, and was looking at a few ideas for tools that I need, as well as ways of storing em when I seen this wood tool chest. I also checked out some very nice wooden work benches, a lathe for shaping rod handles, as well as calipers, planes, and various other tools I might want.

Does anyone else use any kind of storage other then rubbermade totes, and such? Im just trying to find ways to clear the clutter, and was wondering how you all did it.

I've been thinking about My tying, and future rod building area. I went to Harbor Freight Tools today, and was looking at a few ideas for tools that I need, as well as ways of storing em when I seen this wood tool chest. I also checked out some very nice wooden work benches, a lathe for shaping rod handles, as well as calipers, planes, and various other tools I might want.

Does anyone else use any kind of storage other then rubbermade totes, and such? Im just trying to find ways to clear the clutter, and was wondering how you all did it.

Rubbermade stuff is more air tight and that's why I prefer it for tying.

wood tool chest = too heavy and limited storage

you wont be sorry with the rubbermaid shoe boxes

For my most used tools (Scissors, whip finisher, hackle pliers) I have a 3" long piece of white birch branch about 3" in diameter with several hole drilled in one end, the other end has felt glued to it where it sits on the desk within easy reach. I sprayed the outside and the ends with clear poly-somthing to seal it. I would think one could do the same with a suitable piece of driftwood.

For my tools that I use frequently, but not all the time (tweezers, couple of kinds of bodkins, dental pic, Xacto knife, Velcro fuzzer-upper) I use a homemade caddy clamped to the desk and hanging out over the edge, to the left of the vise. It's just a 3/8" thick x 3 1/2" wide x 6" long peice of wood with several different size holes drilled all the way thru, then stained. (This was about the height of my wood working talent at the time, and guess it still is.)

All other tools, like needle nose pliers, ruler,that are rarely used are in a desk drawer. Sometimes a real challenge to find the tool I'm looking for. We have a drawer in the kitchen like that - the "junk" drawer.

I know a couple of guys who have all their tools hanging on a pegboard on the wall in front of them. Whatever works best for you. I'm sure you'll rearrange your stuff a few times before you come up with a system you like.

I just keep my most used tools laying on my desktop. I tie with my scissors in my right hand, so they are not an issue. I have a bodkin and whip finisher laying right in front of me, and other stuff is in a plastic drawer on a shelf in front of me. Cement is sitting on a shelf, as well as other things.