Fly Tying

I just got an itchin to cast about 10,000 times before I see some action. So Muskie it is. The one with the most casts before they die wins right?! But before I do so, I need some tips from anyone whose got some background in this please. I'm needing some advice on a rod setup and some good fall flies. LET THE POSTING BEGINNN . . .

I'm not much of a muskie fly fisherman...Most of my limited experience is with dinky pike in the rivers here. I would say throw some Dahlberg Divers and Deceivers around shorelines with cover. I use a 6 weight on the little "hammer handles" here, but I would say at least use an 8 weight for muskie. I'd feel more comfortable with a 9 or 10 because muskie are MEAN! You might want to invest in a reel with a strong disc-drag too.

i am doing some muskie fishing this weekend...

8wt for floating line and a 10 for sinks

there is a mix of fly styles, i probably have closer shots if anything looks interesting

e01f6002.jpg

i am doing some muskie fishing this weekend...

8wt for floating line and a 10 for sinks

there is a mix of fly styles, i probably have closer shots if anything looks interesting

e01f6002.jpg

The rod situation was my biggest concern because I was thinking I might need something more then an 8 wt but if your using 8wt for floating then I'll be fine! I think I'm going to invest in a 10wt eventually before fall comes anyway so I'll be set there for when the big bite comes before winter. Around here where I live they catch 40-45in fish pretty frequently so its gonna be one for the books if I can accomplish it I think. Thanks for your help tho man and if your close to Indiana lemme know if you wanna go. I can arrange the rest.

the biggest fish i've landed on an 8 was a 46in northern

i have a 8'6 10wt that handles larger flies much better

Mannn thats a good Northern. You should email me a picture if you have one. My buddy Tyler would DIE on the spot. HAHA. What state are you in?

the eyes are set inside ClearCureGoo

the bucktail is tied in reverse then thunderheaded

eyes stuck with zap-a-gap and then CCG

7a02413e.jpg

the top olvie fly has dumbell eyes and then the CCG

i'm in PA

the fish is from MN

c9ff0fd9.jpg

Man thats a killer fish. Thanks for the info man, you were tons of help. Expect some messages from me in the fall. HOPEFULLY a picture of a pig too

I'm a muskie guy, other than May when muskie is closed and I fish smallies. I use nothing less than 10's and sometimes 11's and 12's depending on where I'm fishing and what I'm casting. But for the water I fish, a 50 is possible on any cast, and I pretty much only cast massive flies, so for me 10 is the best choice.

I didn't write the book on muskies on a fly, but I've been doing it since before there was a book. Only caught a few this year due to a broken leg and a truncated season, but I'll do it again next season and get back on pace.

OK, let the "those aren't flies because they have blades on them!!!" discussion begin. They cast with a tight loop on a 10 and you they need a sinking line to get them to break surface tension. They're flies.

carefree.jpg

cid_2A5CC922-4DAB-4700-B299-762586F87CDF.jpg

11perch.jpg

cid_550D6251-2A81-4818-9AE5-2EB5535E7143.jpg

P2030402-1.jpg

P3030407.jpg

pc120571r.jpg

dsc04206r.jpg

if your close to Indiana lemme know if you wanna go. I can arrange the rest.

Where are you in Indy? I'm originally from IN, but I'm stationed on LSC now. Let me know if you'll be up here next year and I might be able to get you out.