Fly Tying
Mickalo

Similar Hackle

Came across a nice streamer pattern in the database that calls for a "Swedish capercailzie" hackle. Is there a similar common hackle that can be used in it's place? It's from one of our European tiers so maybe one them can enlighten me as to what kind of hackle this is and good substitute for it.

Thx's

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have a skin a friend in Norway sent me that is supposted to be Capricallie and it is a grousy kind of bird (based on the skin I have). Mine is brownish but I understand they can tend towards gray as well. Anyway, I've not used but a couple feathers off it and found they were similar to grouse/partridge, etc. that using those feathers from the American grouse worked OK for us. You might find something different and the bird I'm talking about may not be the same thing you mention in your post. Anyway, good luck and if you find out anything, please let us know. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - (Gretchen &) Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Thanks Al. I was going to try either a partridge or PT Hen hackle. I found that the PT hen have some nice dull brownish/red hackles on them.

Mike

The Western Capercaillie is the largest member of the grouse family. The females are mostly alike and have dark brown mottled feathers. The males of the various sub-species are darker starting with black in the south and west of their range across Europe and Asia to almost all white as they extent north and east. For the most part it is the female that is used but there are patterns that use the black male.

thanks for the additional info appreciate it. The PT rump feathers should do the trick :)

Mike