Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
PWB

Bass on the 3 wt.

post-24757-0-65483300-1307761731_thumb.jpgCaught this one this evening on a 3 wt. With a green and yellow deer hair diver I tied.

I'm sure that gave a good tug on that 3wt :D

Kevin

Sure did. Came out of the water once and at that point I figured it was over but luckily it stayed hooked. It was a blast on that light rod!

post-24757-0-65483300-1307761731_thumb.jpgCaught this one this evening on a 3 wt. With a green and yellow deer hair diver I tied.

The only thing better than a bass on a 3 weight is a bluegill on a 0 weight!

Nice one. I live on Toledo Bend and a few years ago I decided I wanted to try a bit of fly fishing for the first time since I was a kid. So went o wally world and bought a $20 all in rig that came with a few flies, LOL! Got to get this picture in your mind as it was a pretty bad rig and limp passed limp. Anyway tied on some little bug that came with it and on my neighbors dock started fishing. Thought I may catch some small blue gills or something along that line. Well the unthinkable happened as a big bass took that tiny fly and I had a great fight, but in the end he took the fly when he broke my line. Had him long enough to make me buy a decent rig for Cabela's.

Congrats on your catch,

Skip

Very nice fish indeed. I used to use my Cortland 3wt for everything. I even landed some 15 inch smallies on it. After I broke it chasing bass and gills, I sent it back to be repaired. I of course needed a rod in the mean time so I bought a 5wt. Now I use the 5wt all the time. Again, nice fish.

3wt. for bass,thats crazy,I bet that thing was bent in half,super fun.I use an 8wt.more like a telephone pole compaird to the 3wt.

PWB, how big is that deer hair bug? Never tried to cast a hair bug on a rod that small. I could see landing the fish on the rod, but casting a bug of any size on small line sounds hard. At any rate, I'm jealous, nice fish, bet it was a lot of fun.

tom

Nice one! I love catching larger fish on light rods. I usally use a 4wt, but have caught smallmouth on a 2wt. It really livens things up.

PWB, how big is that deer hair bug? Never tried to cast a hair bug on a rod that small. I could see landing the fish on the rod, but casting a bug of any size on small line sounds hard. At any rate, I'm jealous, nice fish, bet it was a lot of fun.

tom

Its on a size 4 hook. They do take some effort to cast and distance is limited but not too bad and when you hook up its worth it.

Nice green fish on the 3wt! I have a 2wt that I go to everytime I can get near some fresh water. It is enjoyable to get ANY size fish on ultralight gear. Rock on!

Way cool...

I must visit Nth America with my wands B) ... :unsure: I think I've just started my bucket list