Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Night fishing for bass

OK, so last year I wanted to do a night bass trip in my kayak on a small local lake, throw topwaters along weed lines and try for some bigger fish. I never got around to it, unfortunately. This year I want to make sure I do it. Any thoughts on patterns? Big and loud is what I was thinking, most likely all black color patterns. What about glow-in-the-dark paint? I have a small UV light I use to cure Knot Sense, should I put a few dots on the top of topwaters and charge them with the light so I can track the flies a little? Or go by sound alone?

I make some glow in the dark poppers with some paint I got at Joanns. The thing I like about this one is that it dries clear so you can paint whatever pattern you want bellow it. Also it works well during the evening and when it is overcast. Yes, I would deffinently put some dots of yellow or red.

I make some glow in the dark poppers with some paint I got at Joanns. The thing I like about this one is that it dries clear so you can paint whatever pattern you want bellow it. Also it works well during the evening and when it is overcast. Yes, I would deffinently put some dots of yellow or red.

Do you coat the whole popper head in glow-in-the-dark paint, or just portions of it? Will seeing a glowing popper head spook bass in any way?

I've never used any type of glow paint so I'm not sure if that would spook anything but I get crazy good luck on mice at night. Big Loud Deerhair Mice. FTW

Do you coat the whole popper head in glow-in-the-dark paint, or just portions of it? Will seeing a glowing popper head spook bass in any way?

I put a layer on the whole head and then I will coat the sili legs in it. They don't seem to be spooked when I have fished them.

Cream, I was just reading a piece on night fishing and while it didn't address specific lures, it did mention this bit of interesting advice. For bass, when the moon is full, fish sub-surface, they rather look down than up at the light of the moon. On a dark moonless night, top water has a better chance of being effective even though sub-surface is still very good. Black and dark grape was the recommended color of choice.

Kirk

I fish a local reservoir at night during the spring before the water gets too high to wade. We slay tons of very large fish on black spinnerbaits, so I would think anything with a lot of movement and possibly even some noise (rattle) would work. Kirk is right though, subsurface in the moonlight, topwater when there is no moon or the clouds are covering it.