Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chase Creek

Honest! It Really Happened

Was out this afternoon trying to annoy Bluegills in a pond at Maumee Bay State Park near Toledo. It has plenty of Bluegills and some decent bass in it. I was using an ant pattern, which was doing very well with the 'gills.

I hooked what I think was the largest largemouth I have ever seen in person. He made a couple of tailwalks, just like on TV, then shook the fly (I thought), but there was a pretty good size Bluegill on the hook. I had evidently hooked the Bluegill, and almost in the same instant, the bass had inhaled the "gill, hanging on to it the best he could. When he spit out the "gill, I brought the little guy in. He was hooked quite solidly in the lip, but not a mark on him from the bass. He looked a little wild-eyed and shaken, but relieved to be recued from Mr Bass. Tossed him back in, and never saw either of them the rest of the afternoon.

I can just hear that Bluegill when he got back to his buddies - "No s**t, there I was........." :lol:

I can believe it, had pretty much the same thing happen to me a couple of times. The first time, the bluegill lost all its scales! :lol: The bass spit out the bluegill both times, just like yours did (drat and other four letter words) :angry:

it actually happens quite often with Pike but the weirdest thing for me was after threading about 15 nice gills on my stringer for a fish fry I got ready to head home pulled up my stringer to find nothing but heads come to find out snapping turtles like gills just as much as I do

it actually happens quite often with Pike but the weirdest thing for me was after threading about 15 nice gills on my stringer for a fish fry I got ready to head home pulled up my stringer to find nothing but heads come to find out snapping turtles like gills just as much as I do

LOL...I see that happen allot with guys bank fishing for trout. They place some on a stringer when fishing, move down stream and leave the fish unattended. Meanwhile the huge old snapper comes by in just a few minutes and decides to taste all the trout on the guys stringer B)

CC that was HILARIOUS! I too have had the big boys try to eat the lil guys while on my hook. RRSHS, wait till you have a dang old otter swipe your stringer off your boat or dock...that'll really get yer goat!

I have had it happen with trout before as well. Just 2 yrs ago I hooked a small 6" rainbow and actually saw him take the dry fly so I knew right off the bat it was a smaller fish...till about 3 seconds after I started stripping the lil' guy in and the rod doubled over. Long story short a solid 20"-22" brown took the 6" trout that had my dry in it's mouth (the bow was completely down the browns throat and you couldn't see it at all. Had the brown on for a good 2-3mins and just as my buddy was about to slide the net under the brown it spit the bow out and slide off into the deeper water. The bow was alive and well and swam off after I unhooked him.

Crazy stuff happens out there!

Steve

I've that happen a lot to me at ponds. I've figured out if you just let him swallow the panfish for around a minute then strip the line in pretty slowly and you can get him with a net.

The biggest bass I have ever caught happened that exact same way. I was maybe 10 years old, using a zebco 202 at my favorite pond catching some gills. Was winding one in when a giant wake erupted behind it. Told my dad what I seen and he told me to cast it back out(no easy feat for a zebco) and sure enough the bass inhaled it and the fight was on. Somehow managed to land it, and it weighed in at 5.5 lbs. To this day that was the only fish I had ever had mounted and have never seen a bass that big since.

Happened to me last summer fishing a pond up in Maine. I was fishing from the dock with my 5 weight, hooked a 3" bluegill next thing I see is a huge 8 pound bass come fly out from under the boats and swallow him up, after about 5 minutes of fighting, my dad was walking over to me. I was hollering saying "get over here, with the net!!!" Landed him, when he attacked the bluegill the hooked got out of the bluegills mouth and the size 10 clouser got stuck in his mouth.

The same thing happened to me two summers ago at a pond. I caught a decent sized bluegill, and he was inhaled by a monster bass. Somehow the bass swallowed the gill and my fly hooked him in the lip. I don't have a clue how I got him, but it really happened. I had it happen baitfishing in the river too. I had a decent freshwater drum inhaled by a flathead catfish.

On our annual Father's Day outing about three years ago,tow of my grandsons had this happen. One of them actually caught two that afternoon that way. All three weighed just over 4.5 lbs. each! The boys were both about 8 at the time.

WHAT A MEMORY!!!

perchjerker

I had this happen with a couple bass and last year a couple of otters. The bass caught on quick and just waited for my wife and I to hook a trout. The they would race up from uder a log and fight for them. This went on for a couple hours. We ended up landing one of the bass at about 4 lbs. They took about 3 off the hooks from us but were chasing every one we hooked. The otters was on the middle fork stanislaus last year. My wife was fishing the pool below me and I thought she got snagged on a huge clump of weeds. It was actually chasing her streamer. I had a fish on and as soon as we realized what it was it flew out of the pool over a rock and ripped my fish and fly off the line instantly. We fished there for a while feeding the otters then decided we better head to another spot. The otters followed us up stream and got another fish from us there too. I didnt know whether to be mad about losing the fish or happy to be so close to them. My 10 year old was asking me when we were leaving for our last trip if we were going to feed the otters.

I've had the same thing happen to me multiple times. I've even had big bass hit smaller bass that I've had hooked. Didn't get them in there mouth but he was attacking the crap out of him.

And to top that I've had musky smash 16-18in bass up on the barbee chain. Now That'll leave you shaking