Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
carpflynut

Carp flie's

Hi all,

As a beginner to tying & fly fishing,am after tips from all you carp fly fishers

on tying up flie's,picking the write fly for diffrent situation.

Whots your top 5 must have flie's for carp.

thank you

carpflynut.

Well my absolute go to fly for carp is a head stand. I'll tie these from a #6 to a #2 and they are deadly for the carp. Here is a link to a step-by video that I did several years ago on the headstand,

After that fly come my next go to which is just a simple slightly smaller crawfish. Now by smaller I mean it's a it shorter than most folks think about a craw being, I tie them on a #2 hooks mostly but it's a standard length hook not a 2xl or 3xl as most craws would be tied on, I will say this is an adaption of a pattern I found here on this site and just loved it so much I had to tie it but I tied it my way a little, It's called a mud buddy craw and is one of the easiest craws to tie ever. Here is a link to a video I did for the shop on it
Beyond those two flies I fish more basic stuff like hares ears and woolly buggers, some food pellet flies in areas where they are fed often and what not. Hope this helps you out a bit. Oh yeah and when the mulberries are falling I fish with deer hair mulberries but only under the trees and only for a couple to three weeks before the bite is over.

Steve

-Woolly Buggers (Usually black, olive, or rust brown. And either bead chain or lead dumbbell eyes)

-Panfish Charlies

-Seal Leeches (I use black angora instead of seal.)

-Small Clousers (I've used all kinds of colors with this one.)

-I don't recall the exact name of the fly, but it's nothing more than a San Juan Worm with a bead head.

Hey you carp guys,keep posting up flie's for me to tie up,as it's winter here tying time.

thank's to steve p & jhammer keep them cuming guy's.

Look in the database for the "Twisted Critter", I tie one similar but changed several of the materials and add a couple different things and took a couple out and call it the twisted dude but same fly more or less. Actually her it is, D 5's Twisted Critter and here is another from the data base, Bo Smith's Paper Bag Princess and one more, which looks much more like my twisted dude and is really a killer fly in and of itself, D 5's Hover Mover. Oh and I almost forgot.... this is one of my faves just because of the name and look, I think they are killer on fish too and stupid easy to tie so that's even better, Alex C's Billy Badass. I've also been having some interesting luck on something very similar to generic saltwater shrimp flies like the gotcha and such, here is one that looks a lot like what I've been tying lately,Siestafred's Estaz Eat Me.

Hope those help ease the winter blues a bit just make sure and post pics of your carp when we have ice over and up here. All of those flies are in my box but nothing gets to see as much light as the old faithful headstand, and I mostly fishing that in a size 2, and I get those hooks from Allen Fly Fishing that's the only place I can find a scud hook that big and also the only place I get my #2 wet hooks for the mud buddy craws as well.

Steve

Most of my carp flies are crayfish variations I tie often with a split tail and soft hackle. Some of my best producers of better known flies are:

Clouser's Foxee Red Minnow

Clouser's Swimming Nymph

Backstabber

Hair's Ear

the bigger the mess made on the bottom when you twitch the quicker the carp will see it and then eat it, I forgot to mention that all of my flies are clouser style for the most part and very heavily weighted. I've also gone to the point of adding a short piece of hard mono pointing up (down when the hook is inverted) so that they will make a more pronounced trail in the mud. Very good point KHoss.

Steve

Hi guy's,

here is sum of the carp that's ive landed on flie's i've tyed myself.

post-33787-0-60588800-1311580249_thumb.jpg

The fly in this fish mouth i've name it as a carp parrot.

post-33787-0-22522100-1311580367_thumb.jpg

Carpflynut....it looks like your fly works. Are you willing to share the recipe? I know I would like to tie a few. Nice fish by the way.

all ways been a fan of the ol glowbug for sight fishing for australian carp. also get quite a few on nymphs as a bye catch fishing for trout.

loddoncarp1.jpg

carp3.jpg

d1b6639a.jpg