Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishDragon

Making Strike Indicators

Hi everyone.

I was wondering what type of yarn is used to make indicators. I like the indicators with the small rubber o-ring and yarn. I find they are very sensitive and I can see every bump on bottom and every nudge from a curious fish.

What type of yarn is great for float ability? I am wanting to tie some with bright colors in the middle and very dark colors on the outside to blend in depending on the fishing situations.

I have about 10-15 different colors of Antron yarn, would that be a viable solution. I have tried some with some poly yarn but found they laid on their side and didn't set upright like a "V" in the water. Was very hard to tell if I had a dead drift and it seemed the poly yarn absorbed and held alot of water.

Only poly yarn is used for yarn indicators. You need to brush out the poly really well. Poly does not absorb water. I would not use antron, It does not make good indicators, bad floatability. Pat Dorsey makes some mean yarn indicators, and has instructions on how to make them.

Thanks for the reply.

I have some great poly yarn and I will try to start over and figure out what I did wrong. I don't think I brushed it well enough or the yarn was too long.

i made mine out of sheet foam and o-rings i cut the sheet foam fairly thin and put it all together ill have to try and find some to get a pic up if you would want one they don't get water logged and they float amazingly since it is foam.

The best thing I have found is polypropylene macrame yarn. Separate the strands and comb it out. A spool is several lifetime supplies.