Fly Tying
eastern fly

Another Soft Hackle Swap

eastern fly, i finally got the flies mailed out today, keep an eye out for them and please let me know when you get them

You bet, thanks

Kevin

The flies are in the mail. Here's the recipe.

Fire Ass

Hook: #14 J Stockard Nymph Hook (forget the model #) I usually use Daiichi 1530's but didn't have enough.

Thread: Flour-fire orange UTC 70 for butt, Griffith's 14/0 black for the rest

Butt: Fire orange ultra-thread

Body: Peacock herl

Hackle: Partridge

Tying instructions

Start the fire orange thread and run a few even layers down to the barb and back. This will only show at the butt but it keeps everything even by covering the entire area the body will cover. Start your black thread securing the orange then clip the orange off. Run the black thread back in touching turns stopping to leave a millimeter or so of the orange at the back for the butt. Secure your peacock herl the length of the body. Make sure to leave an eye's length at the front or you'll get a bulky head. Wind then secure your herl. Three tight turns will be plenty. Prepare your partridge hackle and tie in by the tip. Fold it and wrap your desired # of turns. Mine are fairly sparse. I only used one turn of hackle and a single herl for the body. This link is a step by step for a different fly that I did but it illustrates the hackling. SBS

-Mike

Fire Ass

Hook: #14 J Stockard Nymph Hook (forget the model #) I usually use Daiichi 1530's but didn't have enough.

Tying instructions

Start the fire orange thread and run a few even layers down to the barb and back. This will only show at the butt but it keeps everything even by covering the entire area the body will cover. Start your black thread securing the orange then clip the orange off. Run the black thread back in touching turns stopping to leave a millimeter or so of the orange at the back for the butt. Secure your peacock herl the length of the body. Make sure to leave an eye's length at the front or you'll get a bulky head. Wind then secure your herl. Three tight turns will be plenty. Prepare your partridge hackle and tie in by the tip. Fold it and wrap your desired # of turns. Mine are fairly sparse. I only used one turn of hackle and a single herl for the body. This link is a step by step for a different fly that I did but it illustrates the hackling. SBS

-Mike

Whats up with that Mike? You think I will ask for for ALL your info on your flies :rolleyes: :lol:

Kevin

Fire Ass

Tying instructions

-Mike

Mike is a good thing you posted the info on this fly I would have HAD to ask :lol: Very nice job, every one will like the flies from this swap.

Kevin

Glad you like them. It's really just a partridge & peacock with a fire orange hot butt, so not too complicated. A chartreuse butt works good on these too.

-Mike

Glad you like them. It's really just a partridge & peacock with a fire orange hot butt, so not too complicated. A chartreuse butt works good on these too.

-Mike

I will try it both ways. You always do good work.

Kevin

What do you all think about posting the info on your flies as crackleback did? It would help me, you and someone else that may reopen this later.

Kevin

Here's mine - Hare's Ear Soft Hackle

Hook - any standard dry fly hook, size 12-18

Thread - Black 12/0

Rib - Fine gold wire

Body - Hare's Ear dubbing, in a dubbing loop

Thorax - Sow Scud dubbing, Bighorn Pink

Hackle - Hen Saddle (Speckled Brown), or Partridge

You can, of course, substitute any of the materials to suit. I've tied this using FTG Hare's Web

for the body to get a little flash, and Davy Wotton SLF Squirrel Dubbing (Rusty Brown or Burnt Orange)

for the thorax. Probably any bright color would work fine as the thorax.

This is a really versital pattern, has caught fish wherever I've thrown it in the water. It's easy to tie, so

you don't have to sit on the bank with tears in your eyes after giving one up to a tree branch. I got the original

pattern from a British book years ago. Don't know who to credit the pattern to, but I owe him a red pop.

If I am correct, it was as follows:

sz 12 barbless hook

8/0 yellow thread

Peacock herl braided with wire

fine copper wire

partridge hackle