Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jhammer

Most embarrassing fly fishing moments?

A couple of years ago I took the kids out to the lake to teach them how to cast. I got a good amount a line in the air and was telling them about double hauling to keep the line speed up when I looked behind me on the back cast to find an elderly couple not paying attention about to be hooked. I shorted the stroke and the fly shot right back into my rear end deep through my jeans. Kids all hit the floor rolling and elderly couple never even noticed.

Not related to fly fishing or fishing, but I have a good hunting one. I was out squirrel hunting with my buddy and I shot a squirrel with my 12 gauge. It fell down a hill, so I had my buddy hold my gun and I started down the hill after it. To make a long story short, I tripped on a stump and rolled all the way down the hill only to look up at a group of hunters staring at me asking me, "Did you lose your squirrel?"

Fortunately, I tend to avoid social enteraction with other people while I'm fishing,

so my biggest goofs have been played off under only my own eyes.

Having said that I believe my most embarrassing moment was no more than an insult to my station as a fly fisher--I admitted to a stranger that there were indeed fish in that creek I just waded out of.

I haven't had to many embarassing fly fishing moments. But one time we were staying at a cabin on a river for a big party. There was probably 30-40 people. I took my kayak and castnet to a shallow pocket about 60 yards from the cabin trying to catch some bait for catfish. I was sitting up on my knees in the kayak and went to throw the net and their was a knot in the line which made it much shorter. I wasn't paying attention when the line tightened and yanked me off the kayak and into the water. Needless to say I was picked on for a while.

Earlier this year I was at the Texas fresh water fisheries for fly fish Texas and we were demonstrating how to fish with the new flies we had just tyed minutes earlier. I casted my line out and didn't like the p

Position of my line so I strip it in without a fish as I draw my rod back here come a small bluegill flying across the bridge I was fishing off of. A small boy tells his mom " well It was no flying pig but I have now seen a flying fish!"

Position of my line so I strip it in without a fish as I draw my rod back here come a small bluegill flying across the bridge I was fishing off of. A small boy tells his mom " well It was no flying pig but I have now seen a flying fish!"

Last spring I took a trip to the Root River system in SE Minnesota with a friend of mine. We had a really slow trip. At the end of the third and final day we were fishing through the last run before leaving and chalking up the trip as casting practice, and I was standing at the top of a riffle nymphing down into a big pool. My Caddis emerger got crushed by a big old brown trout. Just crushed, we both watch my leader go from one side of the pool to the other and start to go down stream. I got so excited and my reel started spinning. I started to truck down the side of the riffle to get closer to where the fish was and as soon as the riffle ended I stepped into what I found out to be about a 5 foot drop off under water. I got dunked rapidly while yelling, and trying to keep my line tight. I totally lost my balance from the water dumping into the pool and got turned onto my back and almost let go of my rod. For some reason, with the excitement I kept on yelling about how big the fish was throughout this process. My friend stood on the side watching in amazement and cracking up as I fumbled around trying to stand up while yelling and holding my rod as high as possible. it was aweful...haha I landing the fish somehow but was a soaking wet mess.....