Fly Tying

How do you refer to people on this board

When you are talking to your freinds how do you refer to people on a site such as this. Example: I was telling my buddy about this bag of fur scraps from Chris Carlin. I told him that I got this bag of fur from a freind for 5 bucks.

Do you refer to people that you meet on forum/bulletin boards online as freinds, acquaintances, associates? etc. The funny thing is, anyone I have ever met in person from lists such as this I would definitely consider to be a freind. But I feel weird telling , say, a coworker that my friend caught an awesome brown trout this past weekend. When in fact I have never met this person face to face.

So what is it folks? What do you call us?

john

If you got a bag of fur for 5 bucks then I wouldn't worry about any other lable besides (good friend) rolleyes.gif

OSD.

i dont know what to call em, i always say:"this guy on one of my message boards" but then i feel real goofy about it, like im a huge dork because im talkin about it to someone else.

oh well, they prolly think im a dork already anyhow. laugh.gif

i usually call my friends "buddy", so i suppose i could just say that, but like you say, talking about my buddy who lives across the continent seems weird, especially when i dont even know thier real names.

Even though i have never met you guys.....its not whats on the outside; but the inside....I know you guys that way. (besides i wouldnt wanna see yall anyways) tongue.gif

I refer to the forum as the fly tying club. Even though we are not sitting in the same room, in away we are sitting in the same room getting or giving advice.

It would probably go something like this, One of the guys from the tying club is collecting Christmas fly cards to send to our soldiers in Iraq, would you like to sign it.

Those who know me or care to ask know it is the Fly Tying Forum that I'm talking about. Those who don't know me or wouldn't care to ask probably wouldn't hear me mention FTF anyway.

BFR

Depends. If it's someone I know well, and consider them a friend, I call them "A buddy" or "A friend". If it's someone I don't really know, I say "A guy I know". Then, of course, there's guys like Steve and Will, I simply say "There's an A$$hole on this board I go to......" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

dry.gif Due to my kind nature i wount respond to that Jerry flex.gif

Well kinda depends for me, in a way i guess alot of us that are on hear could be considered "friends" because even though some of us havent meet we have conversations everyday with each other and help each other out.

People that i have meet or fished with such as Will,Bob,Ralf,John,Fred,Brent,Chris i always call friends because thats what they are. Even ones i have not yet had the chance to actually meet in person but have talked to on the phone such as Mark(luvinbluegills) & Grayson(redneck) i would still consider friends. Never meet Dfix or troutbum but Paul has helped me with my flies alot and i talk to dave every few days through emails getting help on flies so i consider them friends.

Some times when telling some one about a guy on the site i'll say a "friend", other times i'll say "one of the guys from the site".

Example: "one of the guys from the site,steelheader69" must be a little "funny" because he seems to have a thing for PINK bunny flies tongue.gif

I tend to say one of my buddies, of course once you start meeting a lot of people on a board you can call them a friend, asshole, or moron from the internet j_k.gif

When talking to others I just keep it simple and refer to anyone as "guys on the fly site"

When talking to myself I refer to them as..... oops! whistling1.gif

To prevent further questions you could say your aunts brothers mothers uncle gave it to you biggrin.gif

What it really comes down to though is what do you consider a friend? - someone you can chat with and share your passions about fly tying or are you stuck in the dark ages where you have to see someone face to face?