Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NJ All Day

A Glue Question.

Hi everyone, i'm making a fly box for my big meaty flies, i just have one question...

What would be a good adhesive to combine the glue and foam together? Something that will hold well.

Any ideas anyone has would be excellent!

Thanks.

3M Supper 77 spray adhesive is what most folks use (personally I hate the expanding properties of Gorilla glue). You should be able to find it in most hobby shops.

i'll keep that in mind

Good Day,

I second this opinion. I have used it to adhere foam to the inside of cigar boxes to display flies at fly tying shows. Several years later, no problems... Keep in mind Super 77 is also a great tying adhesive for various "sandwiched" foam flies. Oh, and don't forget... it is best to spray both surfaces and let them sit for a minute or two before sticking together. Instructions are on the can...

Steelie

Expanding on already mentioned of late.

3M Super 77 is good but it is difficult to spray small areas and is not cheap.

Counter top cement comes in a latex version that is safe to breath around and handle. You can wash up with water as long as it does not dry. You can apply it with acid brushes which you buy for around $10 a hundred from several online trade tools supply houses. It "holds til hell freezes over". You apply it to both objects, wait for it to dry to a shine and put them together for keeps. A quart can will last you until you can't tie flys any more. If you look you may can still find it in the old "rubber cement" version, but most stores are removing that because of it's fumes being unhealthy and flamable. GET THE LAYTEX VERSION... it works great. Your two parts DO NEED TO BE SQUEEKY CLEAN to use the latex version.

3M Super 77 is the best stuff for foam. I paint goalie masks on the side and use it to put all the foam pads back in...they take a lot more abuse then a fly box.

Spray it on the back of the foam...but mask off anywhere you don't want it first. Lay it on a little thick...let it set up for 90 sec or so...then press in place.

Dan

Gorilla Glue sells a super glue that doesn't expand like their original glue. I use it for nearly everything including heads of flies. The only place I can find it is Home Depot though...