Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jhammer

Shannon's Streamer

I tied a few of these guys up tonight in preparation for the fishing trips ahead of me. I've used these guys in the past with great results on freshwater drum, gar, channel cats, and carp. I usually tie them on size 8 and 10 hooks, but I decided to go big time and use a size 6! LOL! I noticed that when you go to an 8 or smaller, micro or fine chenille is the best choice. So, being fresh out of small chenille, I used some of my medium fluorescent green chenille and some hot pink marabou for the tail. A lot of guys don't, but I fish mine weighted. I either use lead wire, or bead-chain. I prefer the bead-chain because it rides hook point up and fish seem to love the darting/jigging action. The only part I don't like is wrapping the chenille around the marabou quill. It's a little more difficult when you've got a neurological disease, but I get the job done. Anyway, I just thought I'd share a couple pictures. Let me know what you guys think!

post-32910-0-78955300-1311318018_thumb.jpg

post-32910-0-37475800-1311318028_thumb.jpg

Guest rich mc

the original shannon streamer had a tail that was 1 1/2 the shank length . the chenille started being tied 1/3 back ON THE MARABOU. that was a pain . Joe Cornwall started tying them easier and they are just as effective. instructions are on flyfishohio. rich mc

Wow, I can't imagine starting on the marabou itself! I do agree that Joe's way is much easier. B)

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that an 084 from eagle claw??? Good looking fly there J.

Steve

Sure is! :D

Those little guys have found their way into many flies I tie these days. Economical, sharp, strong, and they work just as good as any other hook.

Jhammer....you indicte that you have had good success on this fly. Has your success been with all white? or what color? I used a similar all white fly on a #1 hook in FL off the beach and caught some Ladyfish. Are you using regular chenile. The pattern that I found called for Patton yarn and I have been looking for it in the local craft stores with no success. I do like the looks of your flies by the way and am planning on tying up a few for the small creeks around here.

I've had good success with all white, a white body and hot pink tail, and chartreuse with a hot pink tail. I've also used silver estaz metallique with a white tail. The original recipe calls for bohemian chenille or something like that. I've never been able to find it around here, so I just use regular chenille or micro/fine chenille for hook sizes 8 and smaller. The original recipe also calls for epoxy and eyes on the head. I usually don't do the epoxy because I tie in my basement and I've got crappy ventilation. :lol:

Sure is! :D

Those little guys have found their way into many flies I tie these days. Economical, sharp, strong, and they work just as good as any other hook.

Handy little suckers aren't they.... I use them for all kinds of stuff.

Steve

Indeed they are. I wish I would have started using them a long time ago! I tie most of my flies on them. I noticed that plain offset hooks like that seem kind of like a taboo to some folks who tie, but they don't bug me. They're cheap and they work great. Neither my customers or myself have had any complaints about them.

I love this fly i tie it on a 1/0 hook in white, and Black/Chartreuse no eyes like joe cornwall though. but i believe that yours with the bead chain eyes would be killer.

I love this fly i tie it on a 1/0 hook in white, and Black/Chartreuse no eyes like joe cornwall though. but i believe that yours with the bead chain eyes would be killer.

Mowest, you should definitely try some with bead-chain! I tied some bead-chain eyes on there one evening while tying to get down a little deeper and the next time I went fishing I was blown away by the awesome action the fly had! :D

When they're running up the rivers, you can't keep the white bass off of them.

I've had good success with all white, a white body and hot pink tail, and chartreuse with a hot pink tail. I've also used silver estaz metallique with a white tail. The original recipe calls for bohemian chenille or something like that. I've never been able to find it around here, so I just use regular chenille or micro/fine chenille for hook sizes 8 and smaller. The original recipe also calls for epoxy and eyes on the head. I usually don't do the epoxy because I tie in my basement and I've got crappy ventilation

I have not been able to find that chenille either. I have used pearl estaze on the #1 hooks but it is too big for the size 4 and smaller flies. I don't have a good supply of chenille but I guess I will have to break down and spend a couple of dollars but it will hurt this frugle old fart. :rolleyes: I have started using the Eagle Claw 84 hooks too. I am also using some 85's that have some kind of shiney plateing for rust inhibitor.

I like it...well done.

Thank ya sir! I'm going out tomorrow morning, so I'll try to post some pics of it in action. :D

I've had good success with all white, a white body and hot pink tail, and chartreuse with a hot pink tail. I've also used silver estaz metallique with a white tail. The original recipe calls for bohemian chenille or something like that. I've never been able to find it around here, so I just use regular chenille or micro/fine chenille for hook sizes 8 and smaller. The original recipe also calls for epoxy and eyes on the head. I usually don't do the epoxy because I tie in my basement and I've got crappy ventilation

I have not been able to find that chenille either. I have used pearl estaze on the #1 hooks but it is too big for the size 4 and smaller flies. I don't have a good supply of chenille but I guess I will have to break down and spend a couple of dollars but it will hurt this frugle old fart. :rolleyes: I have started using the Eagle Claw 84 hooks too. I am also using some 85's that have some kind of shiney plateing for rust inhibitor.

Give this a shot. I use it on size 8 and size 10 versions. It should work well on your size 4's too.

Estaz Petite