Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Lake Fishing

I'm looking for some help. I was fishing a local lake. I cougfht a few and lost a realy nice SM. What flies do most of you use for lake fishing. Most of my flies are for "moving" water. I do know one I need in my chironomid pattern.I also seen huge balls of bait fish that looked to be an inch or so. Can you point me in the right direction?

Kevin

wow, I never really considered there to be much difference in moving-water bass flies and still-water bass flies. Can't go wrong with woolly buggers, Clouser deep minnows, Clouser floating minnows, etc. Deer hair surface bugs are good when bass are looking up, just like in rivers. Matt (Day5) has a lot of good patterns he developed in lakes for bass, but since he's become famous I haven't seen him post much on here....

Hi Kevin, in lakes up here for smallies i have found micro leeches, small buggers usually my go to (something with marabou). If there is bait around i am always using a small EP minnow stripped back erratically, if the lake is full of crays then a little crawdad is nice to flick around the rocks down below (sometimes i find the smallies pretty deep). If i find surface activity like mayflies hatching a nice big dry like a EHC, sometimes a damsel, or small foam popper. Prospecting tho micro leeches and EP minnows. I'd love to be on a lake right now!

*edit* was looking at some pictures from last year at this time, and the smallies were hammering these small minnows, almost look like perch fry or something? But yeah small size and slim.

post-29540-0-55588900-1311376847_thumb.jpg

Kevin,

Sounds like the bait balls could be gizzard shad balling up from predator fish chasing them, (smallies). check out the data base for gizzard shad patterns. tie up some for the next time, along with a few crease flies in gizzard shad to use on the surface.

That big smallmouth was hooked on The Green Goblin. The flat wing streamer of mine. I have been working on something for the bait fish I seen. I'm not sure what they where.

Kevin

wow, I never really considered there to be much difference in moving-water bass flies and still-water bass flies. Can't go wrong with woolly buggers, Clouser deep minnows, Clouser floating minnows, etc. Deer hair surface bugs are good when bass are looking up, just like in rivers. Matt (Day5) has a lot of good patterns he developed in lakes for bass, but since he's become famous I haven't seen him post much on here....

Fame. It'll get you every time.......

:lol: