Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

16 Days on the Au Sable

Just returned home last night from my annual 16 days at the cabin on the Au Sable each July. This year I fished more on the trip than I have in many years. The combo of quitting smoking back in April and losing some weight over the past few months have made it easier for me to breath/walk/hike so I fished so much this trip my hands/fingers/arms are all still sore from fly casting so much.

There are a TON of pics and this is not even half of them so I'll try to keep the words to a minimum so you can just enjoy the pics more than reading.

I started out chasing trout in Mio early in the trip. It was slow trout fishing due to the heat but I still managed a few before it got too hot.

pic1kwt.jpg

pic2bv.jpg

pic3ju.jpg

pic4ns.jpg

pic5ik.jpg

After the first few days the heat wave came. This pic if in my front yard of the cabin at 10am! ...it got to 100 later in the day with high humidity as well.

pic6vw.jpg

Since it was so hot I decided to finish up some work on the bedroom at the cabin rather than sweat to death on one of the days. Got the rest of the painting done as well as the wood trim molding, new bedding, new TV & DVD player, new wood blinds & window valance and a few other things.

pic7t.jpg

pic8ms.jpg

pic9w.jpg

More to come shortly....

Since it was so hot I then started focusing on bass and pike with big streamers and did pretty well with the 10'8" 7wt switch rod and a 200 grain streamer express line.

pic10o.jpg

pic11g.jpg

pic12ou.jpg

pic13h.jpg

pic14yv.jpg

pic15v.jpg

pic16gg.jpg

More to come........

Steve, sweet photos. It looks like the trip was a huge success! The cabin looks great, the new sign looks great....and....um...you look great! ;)

CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking! AWESOME!!!

that 90+ reading on the thermometer looks like it was in the shade....freaking crazy! I'm ready for this heat spell to end!

Wow man, looks like an amazing trip. Absolutely love that pic of the smallie jumping in the air!

don't let him fool you guys he catches a couple of fish throws them in his live well and then pulls them out every day to take pics of in his change of clothes :lol: I had a great time Steve now that my arms are feeling better I can't wait till next year maybe we will catch something more then a sunburn and a crawfish I recognize that bowfin guess you went back in the evening after it cooled down eh

VERY nice. another reminder that I must have lived my life all wrong. "ANNUAL 16 DAY FISHING TRIP"... only in my dreams.