Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Freedrifter1

Articulating...

Was wondering about how everyone does it on their articulated streamers, specifically what type of connection to maximize movement of the back part of the fly? Do you use mono, flouro, braid, coated multi strand wire, Dacron, etc? Beads or no beads? If you use beads do you do it to minimize tangle with the front hook, or does it tighten wiggle on the back part of the fly? Do you keep the rear portion of the fly light, or weight it to jackknife sideways towards the front of the fly? Thanks for any response.

Was wondering about how everyone does it on their articulated streamers, specifically what type of connection to maximize movement of the back part of the fly? Do you use mono, flouro, braid, coated multi strand wire, Dacron, etc? Beads or no beads? If you use beads do you do it to minimize tangle with the front hook, or does it tighten wiggle on the back part of the fly? Do you keep the rear portion of the fly light, or weight it to jackknife sideways towards the front of the fly? Thanks for any response.

I use 7 strand Beadalon with glass beads. The number depends on how much space I want. I like barbell eyes and a short shank hook in the rear.For the head I like wool more than deer hair.

Kevin

I don't fish for toothy critters, so most of my articulating is done with heavy braided line. I have PowerPro on my catfishing rig, and have saved some old braided line from my conventional gear days for articulating. I articulate some topwaters for bass, too, not just streamers. Tie the rear portion of the fly, then feed the braid through the hook eye and even the tag ends of braid. I'll start tying the braid down on the rear of the front hook shank, feed the tag ends of braid down through the front hook eye, and tie in the braid all the way back down to the rear of the front shank. Running it through the front hook eye, wrapping it real secure, and cementing the heck out of it does a good job of making sure it doesn't slip.

I use the beadlon wire, it's cheap and I find the holding capabilities are about the best, I also like the fact that it's a bit stiffer than the rest of them.

Steve

I will use either a 25lb heavy mono or 50lb braid depending on how much structure (connection stiffness) I want in the fly. I don't use any beads between the front and back hooks. I never add weight to the rear portion of the fly to maximize movement.

a) Tie on a snelled hook, so you get flex from end to end: Pig-sticker.jpg

B) Make a diving-lip Rapalica Halfords-ghost.jpg

DSC00724.jpg

For the ultimate in articulation I tie what I call a "String Fly". The entire fly is tied on a piece of braided line or backing with usually a small octopus hook at the rear. The popper is not a string fly. I made it from a soda straw.

a) Tie on a snelled hook, so you get flex from end to end: Pig-sticker.jpg

Man, I dig those patterns! Gotta tr them.

I would like to read more about the soda straw popper. Did you put the straw around a piece of foam to form the popper body?? BF

I heated the straw and then pinched it closed. This welded the rear end. I then put some epoxy in the front to seal it. Just air inside and it floats real nice. Next time I'm going to shoot some insulating foam inside a straw and then cut to length. I think it would be faster and easier.

Thanks for the help. Keep us updated with the popper straw sounds like a great ideal and the insulating foam should make it float great without adding a lot of weight.

Your #2 is a great design! I love it! Want to tie some tonight!

I second this, thats a cool fly my friend :ph34r: