Fly Tying
Tailn'Jax

Last couple of weeks Redfishing

Its been a steamy couple of weeks here in NE Florida, but the fishing has been pretty good. The water continues to be dirty on low water, and the fish continue to be a challenge to feed. I've been having good luck at first light on spin gear on topwater, I need to figure out some topwater flies to throw at these fish. As soon as it lightens up a bit the reds work the bank, tailing and backing all over the place. Instead of my usual tactics, I have had to resort to hitting these fish in the head with the fly. This sucks because you spook more than you catch, but it seems its the only way to get them to notice the fly in the dirty water and among the vast amounts of bait. I've been catching a few though, and some good ones at that...

P7230384.jpg

P8050421.jpg

P8070426.jpg

P8070429.jpg

P8070431.jpg

The flood tides have been good as well, although I have only been able to get out for a couple and have been scouting some new areas. There are a few good fish up in the marsh on high tide, but most of them are little guys as of yet....

P7280394.jpg

P7280396.jpg

P7280409.jpg

Summer is heating the water up, so the mid day fishing is pretty much done, except for the beach, which has been completely blown out lately. All low tide fish came on the marsh demon or black and purple ep minnow, grass reds came on a black spoon. Hope everyone has been catching them up in their respective venues, till next time,

Ryan

Ryan, looks like you were night fishing in some of those pics! What kind of baitcasting plug are they hitting? Don't see why a popper shouldn't work.

I fished some dirty water this Saturday. Areas I was told had grass a week ago were devoid of the green sediment filters. Not sure if its the heat or the increased salt water due to the Mississippi River falling. Either case, it makes hard sighting them and harder for them to see the fly. Finally found an area where they were tracking and managed about 15 fish between the three of us. About half fell to a silver/purple Rattle Rouser and the others on the Crawpepper spoon fly. Tried a popper and a bendback earlier and they didn't want it. I should have tried the popper again when we found the cruising fish, they seemed pretty agressive. Hard to think of those things in 110 degree heat when fighting fish.

Nice pictorial report you did.

Thanks,

Kirk

Kirk, they're hitting a spook Jr. at first light when the tide is over the oysters. They have been crashing the bank really well right before sunrise to about 30 minutes after. Its funny though, because the fish making noise are way back in the grass where no lure or fly could be presented effectively, but the ones that eat are laid up on the bars outside of the grass. I know these fish would eat a popper of some sort or a crease fly, but I have never thrown topwater aside from the occasional gurgler when the trout are eating on top well in the fall. These fish have not even looked at the gurgler, I think they want or need something more substatial to get their attention. I've thrown topwater flies quite a bit for largemouths, and the dahlberg diver is one fly that comes to mind for something that can move a lot of water. Any other suggestions?

Ryan, i sent you an email but in case you did not receive it this is my topwater fly of choice for spooky reds. It is my Topwater Seaducer. It lands super soft and then sinks slowly, but upon the retrieve it will swim back to the surface. Once on top you can give it a short sharp strip in combination with a snap of the rod tip to create a good sharp "pop" or a more subtle strip resulting in a sputter and push. Personally I prefer the sputter/push in shallow water if reds are not feeding on the bottom and the louder pop if they are. Because of it's suspending nature and subtle swimming action this fly can be worked very slow or to call up fish keep it on top with a quicker retrieve rate similar to that of a Zara Spook.

post-25743-0-07351400-1312829584_thumb.jpg

A Gurgler should work. Just a plain ole simple foam cylinder, styrofoam Comel float, cork or your favorite floating material that you can glue to the hook ahead of a clump of bucktail with some flash should do the trick. Unfortunately, should. Sometimes when they are crashing bait, they will refuse many different offerings, that Zara Puppy has an action that often triggers strikes from fish that would not normally hit another type lure.

I would say try your favorite type popper mentioned above, just a simple head with bucktail head and try varying the retrieves and be quick on the draw. If they charge bait, be sure to get that popper down before their wake desipates and try to anticipate the fish's moves. If blind casting, maybe try a short steady cadence of pops on one cast and then an erratic cadence of pops on another and something like a chug and long strip to make the popper act like a buzz bait.

Or, just enjoy the hell out of catching them on the Zara, nothing wrong with that. I'd rather catch a red on a topwater spinfishing rig than a blind casted subsurface fly. I get a rush from the take whether it is sight casting or blind casting with surface baits.

Kirk

I've had them on top on the Gurgler - but I also should add that most of the hits come when I pause the strip and let the Gurgler just sit on the surface for a while. In the warmer water they seem to be more lethargic, maybe won't chase something, but when they see it pause to rest they figure they have a better chance of getting it. Kinda wieghing up the odds of getting a meal before expending their energy. Its a theory, not sure I can prove it though.

Kirk, I'm going to have to give some topwater a try. That strike is amazing, even though they miss it half the time. iFly, I do tie that spoon, it's a mono frame suspended epoxy. I have had issues with durability in the past but tied up a bunch with 30 minute epoxy and they seem to be holding up well after a few fish. The truth will be told when I finally come across a big red in the grass, they are masters of destroying the spoon.

Kirk, I'm going to have to give some topwater a try. That strike is amazing, even though they miss it half the time. iFly, I do tie that spoon, it's a mono frame suspended epoxy. I have had issues with durability in the past but tied up a bunch with 30 minute epoxy and they seem to be holding up well after a few fish. The truth will be told when I finally come across a big red in the grass, they are masters of destroying the spoon.

How difficult are they to make? They look killer, i've never used epoxy before (ever), would this be a fly i could make or do you need a good bit of experience to make them?

Ryan,

Here is a popper we used one day to catch a half dozen or so reds on. It is made from a styrofoam Comel bobber. The fish weren't that big but were a blast to catch.

Kirk

DSC_0478-17.jpg

DSC_0398-11.jpg

DSC_0366-8.jpg