Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xXFLYFISHXx

Hi-vis Beatle

Here is a high floating, easy to see fish catcher that works great fished close to the banks. I just tried this pattern out on my new favorate high mountain lake and got hundreds of cutthroats 16+inches for the two days I fished.

Heres how to tie it...

Materials List

-Hook Mustad 94840 will work great but so will most dry fly hooks. I like a size 14, sizes 16-8 are probly good to experament with aswell

-Thread is nothing to be picky about, any dark colour of 6/0 or 8/0 thread will be fine

-The over body of the fly is two peices of sheet foam each at half the width of the hook gap

-The underbody is a few peices of peacock herl

-The legs are any black rubber legs but I used a bass skirt for this particular fly just because thats what I have

-The Hi-vis part of this fly is the peice of coloured foam on the top of the fly. Any bright colour will work but I use yellow. Orange would be great too.

002-5.jpg

Step 1. Set a thread base covering the hookshank of a mustad 94840 or equivalent to the start of the bend.

003-3.jpg

Step 2. Cut out two strips of sheet foam and tie them on to the hook.

005-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

007-3.jpg

Step 3. Grap two or three strips of peacock herl and tie them on to the rear of the hook tight to the foam. Dipping them in water will make sure the fragile stems dont snap when you start wraping them.

008-4.jpg

Step 4. Move your thread up the hook shank about 2/3 of the way and wrap your peacock herl to that point making a good and thick abdomine.

009-4.jpg

010-4.jpg

Step 5. Fold over the two strips of foam and tie them down forming what kinda looks like two wings laying over the body. Dont clip them as you still need them to make the overbody of the thorax

012-5.jpg

012-5.jpg

Step 6. Tie on the Hi-vis part of the fly which is just a thin strip of coloured foam and clip each side short

014-4.jpg

015-4.jpg

Step 7. Get out a long peice of rubber leg material and tie it on one side of the fly. Then fold it aroun the back and tie it on the other side. Then clip the back hoop that was made creating two legs on each side.

018-3.jpg

019-2.jpg

020-2.jpg

Step 8. Tie on two or three more peacock herls and wrap in between the yellow foam and legs once and then make the underbody of the thorax to the hooks eye.

021-2.jpg

022-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

026-1.jpg

027-1.jpg

Step 9. Fold the remaining two strips of foam over the thorax and clip them a little long forming a little head.

028-1.jpg

030-1.jpg

031-1.jpg

Step 10. Tie off the thread under the foam head,clip legs as needed and the fly is done.

032-1.jpg

033-1.jpg