Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
poksal

Spilled fly tying liquids???

So don't laugh at my vise, remember I'm learning what I need before I take the plunge. After spilling a bottle of Harder Than Nails, I glued down this measure cup thing that comes free in some food products after cutting off the handle. I lined the inside with some door insulation foam, with the sticky back. I placed it on the base of my vise where it is most less likely be in the way. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

I pushed the vise back so the picture would show another two cents worth idea (well maybe 1/2 cent). I have a proper place to hang all my scissors, hemo's, razor knives... but, dauh, while tying they all get dropped under my right hand. So, I drilled some foam and stuck it within easy reach.. now I actually stick them in a hole because it is just as easy as dropping them on the table (at least I'm learning to put them in the holes!). Also, makes a good place to stuff needles and such.

Hope you don't mind the simple minded posts, it is my way as a beginner, in becoming involved. Most of my ideas come from the need to not make the same mistake over and over.

ALSO, I thought we could use another thread to post bench ideas to as the other one I found was old and can't be posted to anymore. Thinking, there must be a host of fresh ideas of this nature out there I (we) could gain from hearing about. Mostly because I could use all the help I can get.

post-34916-0-61795700-1313268124_thumb.jpg

It happens to all of us at one time or another. I keep all of my glue and coatings in a large foam block that is hard to tip over. It sits in easy reach off to the right side of my vise. I am left handed, so the right side is the quiet side of my desk. My foam block is about 4 times the size of yours, and also holds razors, needles, and some other tools in addition to my head cements, and hair stacker.

It is a good idea to get into the habit of keeping you tools and things in their proper places. I know from experience, I have all the little holes and other holders for things, but after a session of tying, my tools are burried under a pile of materials and such.

Great Idea, I think I have the Renzetti foam holder. It may be the same as Utyers. Also, what kind of vise is that? It looks really cool. The jaws part look like the a cabelas vise, but this one is rotary.

The rotory is something I whipped up in my shop. It is based on a stripper bolt, a 3/4" x 3/4" steel block and some plastic bushings. I sawed off the up-right beam and braised it to a nut. So I used a jamb nut to set tension and can rotate it and expect it to stay where I put it. Sometime in the next weeks I guess I'll settle on a vise and get one. I'm leaning towards the Griffin Mongoose but haven't set it in stone yet.

The rotory is something I whipped up in my shop. It is based on a stripper bolt, a 3/4" x 3/4" steel block and some plastic bushings. I sawed off the up-right beam and braised it to a nut. So I used a jamb nut to set tension and can rotate it and expect it to stay where I put it. Sometime in the next weeks I guess I'll settle on a vise and get one. I'm leaning towards the Griffin Mongoose but haven't set it in stone yet.

I have several different brands of vise's. It took me a long time to find one that I am really comfortable and able to tie well with.If your vise that you created is working for you I don't think you should be in to big of a hurry to get rid of it.Like the saying goes "if it ain't broke .....

I have several different brands of vise's. It took me a long time to find one that I am really comfortable and able to tie well with.If your vise that you created is working for you I don't think you should be in to big of a hurry to get rid of it.Like the saying goes "if it ain't broke .....

Interesting solution to the spilled liquids problem, and it works. I also have one of those foam tool holders, which has openings for small

bottles. I keep my most used tools in a wood holder clamped to my desk to the left of my vise (I'm right handed). The less used tools go in the foam

holder. I keep the tools I am using for the pattern I'm tyng directly in front of me on the desk, under the vise jaws. Tha way they don't get

buried under everything, and are at my finger tips.

One safety suggestion, put the exacto knives in blade down, kinda learned that one the hard way on my own :blink: B)

Been there done that.. If you noticed they are at the back of the block and harder to reach that it looks. I removed several things from the area to back off on the clutter in the picture. Actually the blades would be difficult to put my hand on. Which reminds me, I hand sharpen all my blades, scissors, and knifes using the three different grit diamond plates purchased from HarborFreight. It only takes a swipe or two across any of them to keep them razor sharp.

BUT, thank you for the considerate suggestion!!!